Which is more creepy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:55:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which is more creepy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Commenting positively about another persons looks

Commenting negatively about another persons looks

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Which is more creepy?  (Read 243 times)
America needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2024, 09:11:37 PM »

Option 1
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 09:22:49 PM »

It’s so weird that Zoomers consider compliments to be creepy now. It’s like they can’t tell the difference between a compliment and catcalling. Saying someone looks nice/pretty/handsome or whatever is not creepy at all in most circumstances. It’s not like telling a stranger they have a nice ass or whatever. People really need to get some perspective and put things in the proper context. There’s also a double standard in that I doubt anyone would think it’s creepy that the lady who cut my hair last called me handsome a few times (I certainly didn’t, it made my day) but maybe they would the other way around. I get that a lot of men have been and still are creepy or worse to women unfortunately, but that doesn’t mean innocent comments meant to be positive and make people feel good should be seen as “creepy” the same way genuinely lewd and inappropriate comments are.

Meanwhile it’s never really an appropriate thing to comment on someone’s looks negatively. “Creepy” may not be exactly the right word for it but it’s usually an unnecessarily cruel thing to say. And it can still be creepy if someone is being objectified and demeaned, acting as if they are lesser because their bodies don’t match up to whatever standard or something. Then it can be just as creepy as the lewd “compliments” but also cruel. So definitely worse in any case.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 11:02:10 PM »

Both depend on the context and case in question.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 02:29:10 AM »

Really depends on what the positive comment is, the context(eg who the complimenter and complimenter are, the context of their interaction, how the complimenter says the compliment, etc). Like, getting a "you're pretty" from someone who has followed you around school and is kind of weird and stalkery(the first example I thought of because I've been on both sides of that general situation🤮, minus the compliments) Negative comments also vary in whether they're creepy disgusting or just a**hole disgusting.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 02:31:51 AM »

It really depends how you present it.

I can make both equally creepy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 03:27:49 AM »

if you comment on a stranger's looks outside of places where it's appropriate (singles bar, if they ask you,etc), you're being creepy.  If you comment on anyone's looks in a negative way you're an asshole (unless you're stopping someone from leaving the house after making a really bad fashion choice, "hey man, you can't wear your Blackhawks sweater to this bar unless you want to have a fight in the parking lot").
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 08:19:27 AM »

Neither? But also both depending on the context.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 08:51:12 AM »

Depends on how it's said. I think even a negative comment could be acceptable if worded correctly, though I don't think it's ever appropriate to comment on someone's weight or things like scars/birth marks/etc.

I tell people they look nice when they look nice, but if I saw someone attractive and said HOLY SMOKES I WOULD PLOW YOU then yeah that's not appropriate.

Be more deliberate with your words, yall!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 05:24:49 PM »

Depends entirely on who is making the comment, who the comment is directed towards, where it took place, how it was said, etc.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 05:39:40 AM »

Negatively is disrespectful, not creepy.

Positively can be very creepy at times. I remember when I was 21, getting home from work one day, and this dude who was literally like in his fifties or sixties was calling me Sexy and it really bothered me. Like legitmately.

Then about a year later, I was bagging groceries for this one woman, and we were having a positive conversation, and I was genuinely having a good time, and she handed me a business card because she's a hair shop owner, and I got home, saw on the back she said in a note "Hey Handsome, I don't know if you're single, but please call this number so we can talk again." I did call her back, and while she was a nice person, it was very off putting when I found out that she had a son that was only a year younger than me.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 01:38:42 PM »

It depends on the specific comment. Both can be creepy, both can also be constructive or well-meaning.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 01:47:00 PM »

The creepiest is that this isn't a topic from BRTD. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies