Red avatars, blue avatars: what top three issues do you disagree with your party on the most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:40:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Red avatars, blue avatars: what top three issues do you disagree with your party on the most?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Red avatars, blue avatars: what top three issues do you disagree with your party on the most?  (Read 1034 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2024, 04:12:31 PM »

Foreign Policy
Entitlements
Drug Policy

So…you’re a Republican?

Not really and not anymore so than the reply 3 posts down makes that user a Republican (in fact I would say that user is more out of touch with the Democrats than I am based on their post). I don’t believe in litmus tests, but also there has to be a recognition that we can’t just let entitlement programs go bankrupt. We need to accept that drug decriminalization has not worked and cities that have tried it have been forced to reverse it. We also need to accept that we can’t just stick our heads in the sand when the world is so dangerous and unstable and we need to remain an active force on the international stage standing up for American interests and fighting against those of our enemies.
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2024, 04:45:43 PM »

Agree with poster above in many ways. My list would be:

1. DEI, Affirmative Action - and sort of excessive ends of equality - what some on the right may call "wokeness". Oftentimes this can be more minor things at the local level - for the instance Eric Adams did a "vegan Friday" initiative for the optics but in practice all he did was take out the meat. San Fransisco spending so much time trying to rename schools during COVID was another example. I also think Dems sometimes worry too much about political correctness - in an ideal world we'd be comfortable enough with each other to not get offended and perhaps even find humor in political incorrectness.

2. Housing. Democrats control most of the large cities with the biggest housing cost issues, and few have adequately addressed the problem. Oftentimes, it's Democrats who are the ones defending extremely restrictive zoning or creating beutratic tape that makes building more homes very difficult. To be fair though, this is more of a local issue, and I think Republicans aren't great on this issue either.

3. Not caring about addressing obvious inefficiencies. Here in NYC for instance it cost like 30 million taxpayer dollars to install a basic staircase at one subway station. Installing single elevators to make stations accessible also regularly goes over 10 million. To me, that feels like taxpayer money being wasted, yet I have seen no Democrats who control the city and state make a serious effort to investigate and fix what's going on there.

I feel like overall what I'm finding is that Democrats frankly suck at governing a lot of the country's largest cities - yes many of these cities have challenging circumstances but it seems like in many of these cases, the "Democrat establishment" who controls these cities is corrupt and often unresponsive to the needs of the people because they know these cities function as basically one party governments - Detroit isn't electing a Republican mayor or city council anytime soon.

As a fellow NY’er I’d like the Dems to do something about the cost of living and rents here. It’s out of control. Not very livable.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies