The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 04:00:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39
Author Topic: The Movie (and TV show) Watching Thread  (Read 35249 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: May 28, 2024, 03:13:38 PM »

Decided to see Fall Guy on a whim. Not bad. Great escapism. Didn't expect Ryan Gosling to pull off such a a role.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #926 on: May 29, 2024, 01:14:54 AM »

Decided to see Fall Guy on a whim. Not bad. Great escapism. Didn't expect Ryan Gosling to pull off such a a role.

Why? This role isn't all that different from Ken.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #927 on: May 29, 2024, 02:27:33 AM »

The Heroes of Telemark.
Fun watch. Battle scenes were kinda interesting. Characters felt natural enough given time and place. No obvious perfections but decent overall.
6/10 I guess.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #928 on: May 31, 2024, 05:00:06 AM »

Furiosa and Mad Max wasn't that great sone people walked out the movie and I stayed, come on Chris Hemsworth turns into tree at the end, not.

Looking forward to seeing Deadpool and Wolverine I guess Bad Boys will disappoint me too

These aren't flops though
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #929 on: June 01, 2024, 01:05:31 AM »

Just saw Furiosa. First off I just want to say, yes, Immortan Joe is a horrifying deformed wasteland mutant who controls an authoritarian death cult, keeps a harem of slave-wives, and hoards water while his subjects starve. But you have to understand that— like it or not— we live in a two-warlord system. You can fantasize all you want about some alternative third “green place,” but we all know that when the time comes, you’re going to have to choose the lesser of two evils.

This is why I support Immortan Joe. Say whatever you want about him, but he is NOT Dementus. He has experience running the Citadel and he knows how to get things done. His reign has brought with it guaranteed employment for the War Boys, and under him I never had to fear that my daily gruel ration would be halved. In contrast, Dementus brings with him nothing but misery and chaos; at least with the Immortan, life in the wastes will be miserable in a predictable way. Don’t compare him to the almighty, compare him to the alternative.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #930 on: June 01, 2024, 07:48:26 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2024, 03:06:29 AM by Progressive Pessimist »

I just watched 'Madame Web.' I was ironically enjoying it, and finding it more meme-worthy than 'Morbius,' up until the diner scene. Then it was just excruciating. The acting, clunky expository dialogue, editing, distracting ADR, obnoxious fan service, and just plain stupid dullness with a nearly two hour runtime was even too much for me. The worst was the overly long scene of Madame Web instructing the three girls to do CPR in detail. It might have been the least riveting scene in film history. It should have been done in a short montage or something. You know, make it cinematic!

I watched it with my dog and pig, and am currently awaiting trial for animal abuse.

It's the worst mainstream movie of the 2020s so far, easily.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #931 on: June 07, 2024, 12:40:09 AM »

Saw Bridge over the Kwai and Der Untergang today.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #932 on: June 08, 2024, 06:12:15 PM »

Watched "In the Name of the Father" yesterday. T'was captivating.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #933 on: June 11, 2024, 12:01:47 AM »

But I'm a Cheerleader is so good.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #934 on: June 11, 2024, 07:38:47 PM »

Just watched the watchers, ain't that a blip the watcher was the old lady that was keeping them safe from the other watchers.  That's why the watchers never fully attacked the three mortals because they had a watcher inside already.

She gets reincarnated into a little Irish girl at the end.  They say when you dream you are 50% close to death. Why do I see my deceased loved ones in my sleep my friend from high school that died and my dead mom and dad

That if you get reincarnated that death is nothing but a sleep to the next life like the watcher gets reincarnated to a little girl

Like how the parrot is like a Raven or Crow in the movie guiding the three mortals
LBJer
« Reply #935 on: June 11, 2024, 08:16:39 PM »

Watched "In the Name of the Father" yesterday. T'was captivating.

I remember seeing that movie in a theater in college.  Very powerful and sad, although I later read that the events it portrayed weren't quite as black and white in real life as in the movie.  I also remember hearing that it got a lot of British conservatives upset--of course, that doesn't make it untrue.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #936 on: June 11, 2024, 09:35:26 PM »

It's just weird they have a movie watchers and our dreams are like ourselves as aliens watching over us
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #937 on: June 16, 2024, 11:15:12 PM »

Watched all or part of the Columbo episodes A Trace of Murder, Ashes to Ashes, and Murder With Too Many Notes.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #938 on: June 17, 2024, 05:28:32 AM »

I watched this yesterday.

It was actually pretty good to be fair. I love movies based in southern United States.

Red Rocket (2021) was better overall, but this still had me wanting to watch until the end.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #939 on: June 17, 2024, 09:41:54 PM »

The MAGA meltdown over them realising that The Boys has been mocking them for half a decade now is the most hilarious thing I have seen this year.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #940 on: June 18, 2024, 12:18:56 AM »

I Saw The TV Glow
director Jane Schoenbrun

7.0 / 10

This was very good. I understand that this is a VERY personal film for some people, and because of that, there has been a lot of hype and hyperbole surrounding this. I certainly don't think that the film lives up to the expectations set by that, but I'm happy to say that we still get a really good movie here.

Directing and acting are very good. Pacing is decent. The film editing is actually very good as well and really worked for me. Some people on the internet have described this as Lynchian, and I think I'll agree there. That's both a strong point and the weak point of the film, I think. The film goes out of it's way to be slightly non-sensical and that does work, but I think it hurts the story a little bit and hurts the execution of the themes as well. Does the movie do VERY well with themes at points in the film? Yes, absolutely. Other times in the film, I feel like it doesn't know how to say what it's trying to say.

FINAL VERDICT - This is a very good film, but in my humble opinion, flawed. Is it still very good? Yes. Does it live up to it's own potential and executive perfectly? Not even close, I think. Others will strongly disagree with that, and that's 100% okay. It's just my take, and I'm just one person. Would I recommend this? Yes, definitely, but only to somebody who is open to weird dramas and Lynchian stuff.

This will be considered a cult classic for a long time, and people are going to keep asking if you've seen it for a long time, so you may as well go ahead and watch it. If you like good movies, you'll probably like it.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #941 on: June 18, 2024, 12:23:16 AM »

Watched all or part of the Columbo episodes A Trace of Murder, Ashes to Ashes, and Murder With Too Many Notes.

Murder With Too Many Notes makes no sense. Apparently director Patrick McGoohan's dementia had increased to a fairly severe level and he preferred the comedic and musical scenes while leaving out crucial plot points and apparently nobody involved in the show had the heart to tell him this.

Of course, whenever Patrick McGoohan is mentioned, it should be required to mention The Prisoner, which is brilliant.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #942 on: June 18, 2024, 01:11:11 AM »

Hit Man was decent, but Glen Powell looks like an early Dall-e Mini attempt to generate a picture of Brad Pitt.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #943 on: June 18, 2024, 01:19:04 AM »

I watched this yesterday.

It was actually pretty good to be fair. I love movies based in southern United States.

How lucky Glen Powell is? In one movie he beds Sydney Sweeney and in his next one Adria Arjona.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #944 on: June 18, 2024, 05:57:43 PM »

Hit Man was decent, but Glen Powell looks like an early Dall-e Mini attempt to generate a picture of Brad Pitt.

A little bit of Ryan Gosling too. Yet not as handsome as either.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #945 on: June 18, 2024, 10:33:56 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2024, 10:47:26 PM by President Punxsutawney Phil »

Murder With Too Many Notes makes no sense. Apparently director Patrick McGoohan's dementia had increased to a fairly severe level and he preferred the comedic and musical scenes while leaving out crucial plot points and apparently nobody involved in the show had the heart to tell him this.

Of course, whenever Patrick McGoohan is mentioned, it should be required to mention The Prisoner, which is brilliant.
This is the first time I've ever actually watched Columbo and I am pretty musically inclined so that episode didn't really bother me too much. But now that you mention it...I did find it rather silly, after giving it some thought, that the guy would be behind bars, unless police somehow uncovered the evidence.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #946 on: June 18, 2024, 11:19:03 PM »

This is the first time I've ever actually watched Columbo and I am pretty musically inclined so that episode didn't really bother me too much. But now that you mention it...I did find it rather silly, after giving it some thought, that the guy would be behind bars, unless police somehow uncovered the evidence.

Those are all the so-called Columbo 'new cases' as the show came back irregularly in 1989 after Peter Falk quit in 1978 to do other things. Season 6 and 7 also aired irregularly in 1976 and 1978 so those shows are still less seen than the first five seasons.

I like the other two of those episodes especially A Trace of Murder. Shera Danese was Peter Folk's wife. She makes her first appearance in a season 6 or 7 episode playing the mistress of a restaurant critic. If you're into food and food preparation that one is good.

The point here though is that most of the episodes of the first five seasons are regarded as the true Columbo classics and not the 'new cases.' The overall fan favorite tends to be the episode with Leonard Nimoy as an arrogant surgeon who murders his medical and business partner. I forget the name of the actor who played the murdered doctor, but he had been blacklisted during the Red Purge.

My favorite is an episode with Robert Culp (I Spy) who plays a somewhat obsessive expert in consumer psychology and marketing because that character reminds me of Frank Luntz, the pollster and marketer and expert in consumer psychology who recanted his helping of fossil fuel companies to raise doubts about the reality of global warming but said that he was still proud of how effective his campaign was.

After that, I like Robert Conrad as a grifter fitness expert and owner of a franchise of cut rate gyms who is absolutely wonderfully oily. When asked by a franchise owner why the franchises need to buy everything from suppliers owned by Conrad's character, Conrad replies "I need to maintain quality. Everything that I make goes back into the business. When I grow, you grow."

Pat Harrington, who you might be familiar with as the super on the 1980s show "One Day at a Time" plays Conrad's underling with a shady criminal past. When asked about this by Columbo, Conrad replies "he's as honest as I am."

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #947 on: June 18, 2024, 11:45:00 PM »

Late stage Columbo as a whole is more miss than hit, sadly.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #948 on: June 21, 2024, 09:34:27 AM »

In honor of Donald Sutherland’s death I decided to watch Pride & Prejudice, a charming story of an owner of a fee tail estate tragically encumbered by a restraint on inter vivos alienation to a female heir, beneficiary, or donee recipient. Pursuant to his goal of satisfying the condition precedent to effect a valid transfer of his deed to his heirs, the patriarch makes reasonable efforts to execute marriage contracts (subject to the Statute of Frauds) between his issue and potential suitors who he states, upon information and belief, maintain the highest character and standing in their community and do not associate themselves with unnecessary reckless and/or negligent behavior. However, potential liability arises when the patriarch’s daughter Elizabeth Bennet (hereinafter “Lizzy”), acting in good faith upon proper disclosure of privileged information, commits tortious slander against the good character of Fitzwilliam Darcy (hereinafter “Darcy”), sole owner of the Pemberley estate in fee simple absolute, thereby increasing the family’s exposure to both nominal and punitive damages. Upon these developments, a Mr. Charles Bingley reasonably relies upon Darcy’s representations regarding the character and fitness of his intended spouse and repudiates his matrimonial duties, thus committing anticipatory breach with regards to a material element of the contract.

1. What claims, if any, may D pursue against E? What defenses may E raise against D?

2. What is the father’s current interest in the land?

3. What claims may the father press against B?

Discuss.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #949 on: June 24, 2024, 04:42:35 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2024, 05:08:16 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Out of Darkness (2022)

I love these neolithic human horror movies. They are not apocalyptic survival horror, but they have that similar existential feel about them. Given that not a word was spoken in English and the atmosphere was dark in nature, this is a remarkable effort for a new film maker.

Let's call them evolutionary survival horror. The lack of scientific knowledge and civilisation makes the human's suffer each other that little bit more.

Another one was Iceman (2017)

Both captured the raw brutality, the pure mongrel of early human life on this planet.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies