Trump says all college graduates should have a green card attached to their diploma
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 08:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump says all college graduates should have a green card attached to their diploma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump says all college graduates should have a green card attached to their diploma  (Read 1209 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2024, 06:46:53 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-foreign-college-graduates-222429964.html

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Thursday suggested that people who graduate from college in the United States should "automatically" get a green card to be able to stay in the country.

"You graduate from a college, I think you should get automatically as part of your diploma a green card to be able to stay in this country and that includes junior colleges too," Trump said on the All-In podcast hosted by tech investors.

A green card, also known as a permanent resident card, allows individuals to live and work permanently in the United States and is a path to citizenship..

Tech Bro Trump in full form
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 07:00:06 PM »

Reminds me of the current immigrant situation in Canada. This pandering would definitely explain the R surge among Silicon Valley 1%ers though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 07:01:55 PM »

Rare Trump W, but if you like this policy and want it enacted, you're better off voting for Biden and a Democratic Congress.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 07:09:33 PM »

Reminds me of the current immigrant situation in Canada. This pandering would definitely explain the R surge among Silicon Valley 1%ers though.

Yet Trump’s the muh populist

Rare Trump W, but if you like this policy and want it enacted, you're better off voting for Biden and a Democratic Congress.

We don’t need tech bro immigration policy . We need an Australian style or pre 2017 Canadian style point based system
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 07:29:21 PM »

“Want to see a policy that this candidate supports implemented? Vote for his opponent!”

What?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 07:46:02 PM »

“Want to see a policy that this candidate supports implemented? Vote for his opponent!”

What?

Trump is a liar.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 07:46:13 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2024, 08:32:36 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Well, he took Biden's bait on immigration, in a pretty unexpected way. This is a one-two punch to try and get both the youth and Latino vote. And only Trump can get away with it. If Biden proposed this-forget it!

And that's what makes Trump so insidious, if he can even be trusted on this. You'd think undocumented immigrants going to college would be a Republican's worst nightmare.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 08:30:32 PM »

What?

Literally the only way this can be implemented without it being a disaster is by ending chain migration and also making student visa rules way stricter and liberals would never agree with that
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 08:58:14 PM »

Absolutely not.
Trump will get this beautiful policy enacted and Biden will never be able to.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 09:31:59 PM »

What?

"Want a pro-immigration policy enacted? Vote for the party that's more pro-immigration!"

It's not a novel concept. It's like how anti-abortion Democrats rarely convince anti-abortion Republican voters to back them, no matter how much they talk about abortion.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2024, 09:35:29 PM »

Do we really need more underwater basket weaving majors who shouldn't be in college?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2024, 09:40:11 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2024, 09:45:01 PM by Horus »

Absolutely not.
Trump will get this beautiful policy enacted and Biden will never be able to.

Would you have supported this (awful) policy before it got Trump's seal of approval?

I don't see how this helps him, most Americans supported his deportation plan. He had the opportunity to hammer Biden on borders. Why switch up now?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2024, 09:41:56 PM »

What percentage of foreign students who want to stay in the US after graduation ultimately fail to get a green card anyway? I'm guessing that's going to be pretty low.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2024, 09:42:43 PM »

I want to see Democrats try and put this up for a vote in congress just to see what happens.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 09:49:21 PM »

Damn, immigration was like the one issue where I could say unequivocally that Trump was better than Biden. Not true anymore, and my already solid vote for sleepy Joe has just solidified even further. What the hell is Don thinking here? This really is a terrible soundbyte for him. Pro open borders Dems will never trust him and to his base this sounds like blasphemy. What is the the goal?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2024, 09:52:38 PM »

This is unironically a good take on immigration.  Trump's right on this one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2024, 09:55:05 PM »

Given the surge in immigration under Biden, I feel we are at appropriate levels and don't need to increase further. There are enough people competing for the jobs out there already, this is just a wage suppression tactic that serves the corporate agenda. No thanks.

By the way, I've noticed Trump has become a lot less independent and America First since he ran into legal troubles and starting getting financed at the teat of billionaires. Him and RFK Jr.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2024, 10:38:40 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2024, 10:41:42 PM by Alben Barkley »

The funny thing is we actually need more low-skilled workers to do tough jobs for less pay that Americans don’t want to do. Yet those are who Trump wants to deport while he wants to limit higher-paying jobs for Americans by letting immigrants come here, benefit from our world class education, and stick around to take our jobs rather than go back to their home countries to benefit the globe.

Just another example of totally backwards thinking from this buffoon.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2024, 10:44:29 PM »

I think we have enough doctors and software engineers from Asia.

We need to make American education more affordable and accessible for Americans.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2024, 10:49:26 PM »

Disgusting, we definitely leave a lot of talent out but this is gonna prop up the soon to fail small town college industry .
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2024, 10:56:04 PM »

OSR is actually correct on this one. I wouldn't support ending chain migration or making student visas stricter (so yes he's also right liberals wouldn't agree to that), so it's better to just keep the status quo than implement this.

This policy would probably just make it more difficult for American students to get into the best colleges and grad programs, and wouldn't really increase access to skilled workers much, they can already get green cards easily. Someone with a med school degree from a university in India or Africa is not going to get turned down trying to enter the US. However this would encourage even more foreign students to attend college/grad school in the US and fill up more spots thus reducing spots for Americans, it's not like they would just go to med school in Africa or India.

BTW this reminds me that as strange as it sounds now, in 2006 the Democrats arguably ran to the right of the Republicans on immigration, at least in rhetoric. Why is kind of understandable, Bush was very immigration-friendly for a Republican, (in fact arguably the most pro-immigration President we've ever had, at least since WW2), yet also insanely unpopular and toxic, so the Democrats attacking Republican incumbents by saying "He supports George W. Bush's plan to give amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants!" along with attacking the Iraq War and Bush's economic policies was totally logical. Not expecting such a complete reversal obviously with Trump, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if Biden went after Trump on this.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2024, 11:07:18 PM »

I’m now accepting applicants for Alameda Upstairs Business College.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2024, 11:24:44 PM »

What percentage of foreign students who want to stay in the US after graduation ultimately fail to get a green card anyway? I'm guessing that's going to be pretty low.

Green cards are actually pretty tough for Indian/Chinese/Mexican students due to the 7% cap (not a terrible idea overall as we don't need to be Canada). Along with that it requires a job that sponsors you for a H1b in the first place and for you to keep it. A lot of companies really don't like dealing with H1b.

I think that above tweet at least suggests something. The top 10 Indian scorers all immigrated but in the top 1000 only 360 did but its very possible a larger amount may have wanted to.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2024, 11:26:27 PM »

Anecdotally speaking, from my cohort it’s higher than I expected? Ik a lot of people who got rejected for H1-Bs and outside of aspiring academics, I haven’t met a single immigrant who views permanent residency as a slam dunk. Off the top of my head, I know…eight? people who were US college grads, had jobs and then had major visa issues.

The vibe I get from friends going through the process rn makes me glad that I do not have to immigrate to the United States bc it seems exhausting. My intuition is that it probably could/should be easier (though I’m prob too emotionally attached to this issue).
Arson Plus
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2024, 11:47:15 PM »

Looking forward to America becoming Canada 2.0.

Disgusting, we definitely leave a lot of talent out but this is gonna prop up the soon to fail small town college industry .
Even worse, this will massively hike the enrollment of community colleges and put a strain on them if Junior colleges include community colleges and I guarantee that fraudsters will try to start junior diploma mill colleges.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies