2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: South Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:12:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: South Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: South Carolina  (Read 11940 times)
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2022, 05:11:37 PM »

I was able to create this newest map in DRA thanks to the SC Senate's interactive map which highlights precincts and cuts when you zoom in.

It's pretty least change from the current map overall. SC-01 shifts 3.3 points to the right (it would be Trump +9.3). SC-02 shifts 0.2 points to the left. SC-04 shifts 1.8 points to the left.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »

I was able to create this newest map in DRA thanks to the SC Senate's interactive map which highlights precincts and cuts when you zoom in.

It's pretty least change from the current map overall. SC-01 shifts 3.3 points to the right (it would be Trump +9.3). SC-02 shifts 0.2 points to the left. SC-04 shifts 1.8 points to the left.

They did seem to shore up SC-02 a bit from the alternative house proposal.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2022, 09:54:10 PM »

I was looking at the wrong plan. These are the two that were posted today:
https://scsenate.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=7a18850aaacf4be1a1b482b0377bb2bf

https://scsenate.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d665cd0a95014301befca1b001bc9eac
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »

I was looking at the wrong plan. These are the two that were posted today:
https://scsenate.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=7a18850aaacf4be1a1b482b0377bb2bf

https://scsenate.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d665cd0a95014301befca1b001bc9eac

Well that first plan is dead in the water.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2022, 01:51:25 AM »

From what I'm hearing, the House alternative plan is the favorite right now. Redistricting committee voted to adopt it on party lines.

The senate redistricting bill has been amended to match the House plan.

Will SC-01 hold for the whole decade with that map? What about SC-02?

They both should barring a D wave or a GOP collapse nationally

What about trends?

Still both should generally hold, SC-01 especially with Mace.

Mace could very well be going statewide this decade and the seat might open up. And Joe Cunningham was a strong incumbent who outperformed Biden and Harrison in his seat and could win it back at some point.

And Joe Wilson is old and could very possibly retire soon.

I have a feeling Wilson is gonna die in that seat with his son Alan winning the special election to replace him
Joe Wilson's just 74. Does he have any health problems of note?

74 is old, and he’s been in politics since 1985. He’ll likely have a safe seat for as long as he wants it and I see no reason he hold on another 5-15 years 
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2022, 02:07:37 AM »

From what I'm hearing, the House alternative plan is the favorite right now. Redistricting committee voted to adopt it on party lines.

The senate redistricting bill has been amended to match the House plan.

Will SC-01 hold for the whole decade with that map? What about SC-02?

They both should barring a D wave or a GOP collapse nationally

What about trends?

Still both should generally hold, SC-01 especially with Mace.

Mace could very well be going statewide this decade and the seat might open up. And Joe Cunningham was a strong incumbent who outperformed Biden and Harrison in his seat and could win it back at some point.

And Joe Wilson is old and could very possibly retire soon.

I have a feeling Wilson is gonna die in that seat with his son Alan winning the special election to replace him
Joe Wilson's just 74. Does he have any health problems of note?

74 is old, and he’s been in politics since 1985. He’ll likely have a safe seat for as long as he wants it and I see no reason he hold on another 5-15 years 
I dunno if 74 is really "old" for a politician anymore.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2022, 03:46:33 PM »

Senate Amendment 1 passes House.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2022, 04:05:25 PM »

Senate Amendment 1 passes House.
Kinda surprising they only shored up Mace a little bit when SC-02 could be troublesome down the line.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2022, 04:34:56 PM »

Safe 6-1 in 2022, but SC-01 and SC-02 could very possibly be in trouble down the road.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2022, 05:23:20 PM »

Safe 6-1 in 2022, but SC-01 and SC-02 could very possibly be in trouble down the road.

Joe Cunningham comeback bid imminent?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2022, 11:53:39 AM »

McMaster has signed off on the new map. South Carolina is finished.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2022, 01:03:49 PM »

Dummymander potential?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2022, 01:05:09 PM »

Dummymander potential?
Not in 2022 or 2024. A 2026 GOP midterm however could be interesting. SC-02 actually got marginally bluer in the new map and SC-01 only moved about two points to the right.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »

Dummymander potential?
Not in 2022 or 2024. A 2026 GOP midterm however could be interesting. SC-02 actually got marginally bluer in the new map and SC-01 only moved about two points to the right.

That’s what I meant. A 2026 midterm may be the perfect time for Joe Cunningham to make a comeback. Or a 2025 special if Tim Scott is POTUS/VP/ in the Cabinet and Mace replaces him in the Senate.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2022, 02:08:13 PM »

Dummymander potential?

That’s what I meant. A 2026 midterm may be the perfect time for Joe Cunningham to make a comeback. Or a 2025 special if Tim Scott is POTUS/VP/ in the Cabinet and Mace replaces him in the Senate.

SC-02 has a lot of blood red rural white areas. Yea the Aiken and Lexington areas are trending blue, but they’ll have to do it faster then the rural regions turning red/redder. I don’t see it flipping soon, much as I want Wilson out
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2022, 02:20:26 PM »

Dummymander potential?

SC-02 has a lot of blood red rural white areas. Yea the Aiken and Lexington areas are trending blue, but they’ll have to do it faster then the rural regions turning red/redder. I don’t see it flipping soon, much as I want Wilson out

The rural areas don’t seem to be moving any way politically. Trends in Richland, Lexington, and Aiken will keep the district moving leftward.

And SC-01 had hardly any rurals and it’s only a couple points redder than its current incarnation.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2022, 03:47:02 PM »

Dummymander potential?

The rural areas don’t seem to be moving any way politically. Trends in Richland, Lexington, and Aiken will keep the district moving leftward.

And SC-01 had hardly any rurals and it’s only a couple points redder than its current incarnation.

I was just talking about SC-02, and a decent portion of both Aiken and Lexington are very rural places. SC-01 is an entirely different story and I would not be shocked at all if it becomes a swing seat in a few years. It still doesn’t surprise me they didn’t shore it up though, doing so would require a radically different congressional map
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2022, 04:01:58 PM »

Dummymander potential?

I was just talking about SC-02, and a decent portion of both Aiken and Lexington are very rural places. SC-01 is an entirely different story and I would not be shocked at all if it becomes a swing seat in a few years. It still doesn’t surprise me they didn’t shore it up though, doing so would require a radically different congressional map

They slightly shored her up but they couldn’t go as far as OK or UT did because of geography and the VRA.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2022, 04:59:09 PM »

Atlas when looking at bog-standard status quo map:

"Is this a dummymander?"
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:08 PM »

Well, it's over, but nothing to stop us for continuing to draw maps! This would have been my fair SC map, which I think would result in another black Democrat being elected from Columbia (though it's not possible to make the district plurality black) and leaves the Charleston seat competitive.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/c9b00632-efad-409d-9733-285cfca8d50f
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2022, 05:19:12 PM »

"Is this a dummymander?"

Is there any reason to believe it won’t be a dummymander?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2022, 05:29:27 PM »

"Is this a dummymander?"

...the only remotely competitive district is shored up by a few points. That's just not a dummymander. By no reasonable person's definition would that be a dummymander. On what planet do you live in??
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2022, 05:32:08 PM »

"Is this a dummymander?"

...the only remotely competitive district is shored up by a few points. That's just not a dummymander. By no reasonable person's definition would that be a dummymander. On what planet do you live in??

I’m referring to it becoming a dummymander later in the decade, not being one now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »

"Is this a dummymander?"

I’m referring to it becoming a dummymander later in the decade, not being one now.

I mean, anything can happen in a decade, but that's not what a dummymander means. A dummymander is a map that's counterproductive to the party that enacted it based on what we actually know, not on speculations about future trends.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2022, 12:28:15 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2022, 01:53:11 PM by lfromnj »

South Carolina decided to do some settlement on state house maps. I guess it just has to be out of not wanting to fight the case. Seems plenty winnable to me.

55 looks sorta bad on the old map with Horry but the new 52 is basically what Ever's did in Wisconsin.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies