United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 10:04:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 124
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 100452 times)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: June 13, 2024, 04:18:42 AM »

Has anyone got a list of former MPs who are trying for a comebaxk this election?

The Wikipedia list seems complete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_in_the_2024_United_Kingdom_general_election (scroll down)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2076 on: June 13, 2024, 04:37:18 AM »

Has anyone got a list of former MPs who are trying for a comebaxk this election?

For Labour- Gareth Snell, Nic Dakin, James Firth, John Grogan, Melanie Onn, Jo Platt & Anna Turley- all standing in their old seats.

Mary Creagh, Douglas Alexander, Heidi Alexander, Emma Reynolds- all running in new seats.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2077 on: June 13, 2024, 05:01:36 AM »

Dan Norris is standing in what’s roughly his old seat (2 boundary changes ago).
Flyersfan232

« Reply #2078 on: June 13, 2024, 09:37:09 AM »

For Labour- Gareth Snell, Nic Dakin, James Firth, John Grogan, Melanie Onn, Jo Platt & Anna Turley- all standing in their old seats.

Mary Creagh, Douglas Alexander, Heidi Alexander, Emma Reynolds- all running in new seats.
any running with reform?
Harlow

« Reply #2079 on: June 13, 2024, 09:40:48 AM »

any running with reform?

Besides Lee Anderson, no.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2080 on: June 13, 2024, 10:08:00 AM »

What is odd about this picture?

That's right: absolutely nothing is odd. It is a perfectly ordinary photograph of the Shadow Cabinet after the launch of the Labour manifesto. What is odd is that there is no equivalent photograph of the Cabinet with the PM at its head from the incumbents.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2081 on: June 13, 2024, 10:12:23 AM »

Labour manifesto launch today, I suppose the lack of comments on here tells its own story a bit Smiley

One thing I will say is that Starmer has his shortcomings and they have been well rehearsed, but one of his strengths is an apparent ability to learn from his mistakes - something even some quite skilled politicians have been known to struggle with. He took on board what went less well in the first debate and performed much more assuredly last night despite some tough questioning. And today, he again was well on top of his brief - notably Beth Rigby tried to floor him with the sort of "gotcha" she has maybe become a bit too fond of recently, but SKS's reply actually had her joining in the applause.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2082 on: June 13, 2024, 10:19:24 AM »

That's right: absolutely nothing is odd. It is a perfectly ordinary photograph of the Shadow Cabinet after the launch of the Labour manifesto. What is odd is that there is no equivalent photograph of the Cabinet with the PM at its head from the incumbents.

Looks like a promo of some kind, but I suppose it is a promo of some kind.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #2083 on: June 13, 2024, 10:28:23 AM »

Waiting for Rees-Moggs effort

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2084 on: June 13, 2024, 10:41:43 AM »

The Wikipedia list seems complete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_in_the_2024_United_Kingdom_general_election (scroll down)

This list definitely highlights some candidates who have had wild political careers! Dave Nellist, Parmjit Gill, Andrew Pelling, Keith Vaz, Emma Dent Coad.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2085 on: June 13, 2024, 10:41:46 AM »

Finally if anyone is interested in the Labour manifesto, you can download it here: https://labour.org.uk/change/

Or I have another tweet for you to summarise (not my work):

This list definitely highlights some candidates who have had wild political careers! Dave Nellist, Parmjit Gill, Andrew Pelling, Keith Vaz, Emma Dent Coad.

Yes - didn't even know about Parmjit Gill's (paper) candidacy.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2086 on: June 13, 2024, 10:43:44 AM »

They look like they are all staring into the sun.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2087 on: June 13, 2024, 11:05:39 AM »

Labour manifesto launch today, I suppose the lack of comments on here tells its own story a bit Smiley

One thing I will say is that Starmer has his shortcomings and they have been well rehearsed, but one of his strengths is an apparent ability to learn from his mistakes - something even some quite skilled politicians have been known to struggle with. He took on board what went less well in the first debate and performed much more assuredly last night despite some tough questioning. And today, he again was well on top of his brief - notably Beth Rigby tried to floor him with the sort of "gotcha" she has maybe become a bit too fond of recently, but SKS's reply actually had her joining in the applause.
I read the entire Conservative manifesto and while it sounds nice, One Nation-like, etc, but it's the Tory manifesto and as such few are going to take it seriously. They're running away from their actual term in office and playing defense. A doomed task.
Labour's going to be winning the election and they're behaving like it. The manifesto is another step in that direction.
(I think I've been bitten by the 'read manifesto' bug)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2088 on: June 13, 2024, 11:10:25 AM »

Looking back at the rather unfair treatment he got from the media - some of it self-inflicted, but still -, it's sort of nice to see Miliband still there and likely to enter Cabinet. His presence there also helps the Chaos meme live on, so that's another plus.
Steve from Lambeth
United Kingdom

« Reply #2089 on: June 13, 2024, 11:15:48 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2024, 11:36:51 AM by Steve from Lambeth »

Warning about every poll etc but hilarious that the Tories are running a presidential campaign around someone so disliked

I'm curious what a "presidential" campaign means in a UK context. How exactly would the Tory campaign look any different than it is now if they weren't running one? Obviously you need to promote your leader, but would it be more policy-based rather than focusing on Rishi doing lots of appearances and meeting with voters in different constituencies?
Labour hasn't run a policy-centred campaign since Ed Miliband, the Conservatives probably not since the Invitation to Join the Government of Britain.

I expect we will get some window dressing (booting out the remaining hereditaries, age limits etc)
Hmmm. This is one of the predictions of all time.

NEW: Conservative MP Andrea Jenkyns has used a photo of Reform UK Leader Nigel Farage on her election campaign leaflet
Why was my first thought that Dame Andrea has greatly changed her hairstyle from the glory days of December 2019, a point of time since which approximately 105% of all human beings have decided to get their hair done?

This is the sort of thing that is pretty straightforwardly sound policy (have you ever tried to get teenagers to concentrate on a lesson? I have) but that starts to be thermonuclear with ordinary voters fast once you get into young enough age ranges.

Especially given the body of parent-voters who, for their own benign or otherwise reasons, want to know where their child is and be able to contact at any given time. Even in school.
My parents called reception between Years 7 and 11, when it was fine to use your phone in the school playground. I resented their making me bring mine to my school's sixth form, when phones had been tacitly banned, advertisement of the actual ban buried under any number of fancy schemes at some point during Key Stage 4. (And keep in mind that I did not go to one of "the best schools." This was literally Cornwall.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2090 on: June 13, 2024, 11:22:59 AM »

Strange to see so many Labour politicians smiling!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2091 on: June 13, 2024, 11:40:48 AM »

I went to a rooftop in Manchester and all I got was this lousy leaflet.

Finally if anyone is interested in the Labour manifesto, you can download it here: https://labour.org.uk/change/

Or I have another tweet for you to summarise (not my work):

Introduce free breakfast clubs? Just in time for Rishi to announce the end of ring-fenced funding for primary school breakfast clubs.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2092 on: June 13, 2024, 12:11:42 PM »

Why was my first thought that Dame Andrea has greatly changed her hairstyle from the glory days of December 2019, a point of time since which approximately 105% of all human beings have decided to get their hair done?

You're not the first person I've seen comment on this - perhaps the less people recognising her, the better.
Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2093 on: June 13, 2024, 12:35:30 PM »

https://www.twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1801291564997636520

Redfield & Wilton Strategies (@RedfieldWilton) on X
Labour leads by 24%.

Lowest EVER Conservative % (worse than Truss).

Highest Lib Dem % in 2024.

🇬🇧 Westminster Voting Intention (12-13 June):

Labour 42% (-3)
Conservative 18% (-1)
Reform 17% (–)
Lib Dem 13% (+3)
Green 5% (–)
SNP 3% (–)
Other 1% (–)

Conservatives dropping even further (but still ever so barely slightly ahead of Reform), and this is the 2nd recent poll with a significant Lib Dem gain.

This is getting into the territory where the Tories could actually come in 3rd in seats.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2094 on: June 13, 2024, 12:40:29 PM »

5 years of Ed Davey, Leader of the Opposition would be really fun.
Compuzled_One
United States
« Reply #2095 on: June 13, 2024, 12:40:49 PM »

https://www.twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1801291564997636520

Redfield & Wilton Strategies (@RedfieldWilton) on X
Labour leads by 24%.

Lowest EVER Conservative % (worse than Truss).

Highest Lib Dem % in 2024.

🇬🇧 Westminster Voting Intention (12-13 June):

Labour 42% (-3)
Conservative 18% (-1)
Reform 17% (–)
Lib Dem 13% (+3)
Green 5% (–)
SNP 3% (–)
Other 1% (–)

Conservatives dropping even further (but still ever so barely slightly ahead of Reform), and this is the 2nd recent poll with a significant Lib Dem gain.

This is getting into the territory where the Tories could actually come in 3rd in seats.
If Reform gets ahead, I think they might get 5th.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2096 on: June 13, 2024, 12:41:38 PM »

5 years of Ed Davey, Leader of the Opposition would be really fun.

I guess he would probably bring a trampoline into Parliament and ask his PM Questions while bouncing up and down.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2097 on: June 13, 2024, 12:45:34 PM »

If Reform gets ahead, I think they might get 5th.

I suspect most of the seat projections probably understate the Reform seat count if they do actually end up getting around as many popular votes as the Tories. There will be some places where Reform ends up doing better or worse than their national average, and if the Tories are very low, then Reform (as well as obviously the Lib Dems and of course Labour) will win some of those. The models have no real idea which seats those will be, but there will have to be seats like that somewhere or other.
kwabbit

« Reply #2098 on: June 13, 2024, 12:45:43 PM »

In UK politics, do candidates pay any price for 'carpetbagging'? It seems like a lot of major politicians represent essentially random safe seats. What's the view of the local populace when a London resident gets selected for a seat in NE England?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2099 on: June 13, 2024, 12:50:44 PM »

In UK politics, do candidates pay any price for 'carpetbagging'? It seems like a lot of major politicians represent essentially random safe seats. What's the view of the local populace when a London resident gets selected for a seat in NE England?

A bit of grumbling but they usually vote for them anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 124  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies