Are candidates for governor usually older than candidates for U.S Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 08:34:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Are candidates for governor usually older than candidates for U.S Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are candidates for governor usually older than candidates for U.S Senate?  (Read 487 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2024, 10:30:27 PM »
« edited: June 13, 2024, 12:25:49 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

These are the ages of some of the Democrats running this cycle. The ages given are for when they would take office.

This might also be one reason why although Americans supposedly prefer Governors for President (that was said when 4 of 5 Presidents had been governors: Carter, Reagan, Clinton and W. Bush anyway) most governors who run for President do poorly for nomination.

Senate candidates
1.Ruben Gallego, 45
2.Adam Schiff, 64 (one of two exceptions)
3.Lisa Blunt Rochester, 62 (the other)
4.Elissa Slotkin, 48
5.Angela Alsobrooks, 53
6.Andy Kim, 42
7.Glenn Elliott, 52
8.Debbie Macarsel Powell, 53
9.Colin Allred, 41
Average age: 51

Governor candidates
1.Jennifer McCormick, ?
2.Ryan Busse, 54
3.Josh Stein, 58
4.Merrill Piepkorn, 75
5.Brian King, 65
6.Bob Ferguson, 59
7.Steve Williams, 68
Average Age: 63

Even leaving out North Dakota's Piepkorn the average age is still 61. Of course, Crystal Quade in Missouri would lower that, but she hasn't won the primary yet.

If Josh Stein and Bob Ferguson served for governor for two terms both would probably be regarded as too old to run for President, for example.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 10:48:33 PM »

In my head I’ve always thought of it as a senator is 1 of two in a state and 1 of a 100 total, but there’s only one governor of an Indiana. It’s a bit more prestigious and more complicated job than a senator so it makes sense people want someone with more of a resume, which makes the candidates older on average.
kyc0705

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 01:11:56 PM »

There's also the matter that a governor is usually termed out after eight years, whereas senators often remain in post for decades.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 12:07:10 PM »

In my head I’ve always thought of it as a senator is 1 of two in a state and 1 of a 100 total, but there’s only one governor of an Indiana. It’s a bit more prestigious and more complicated job than a senator so it makes sense people want someone with more of a resume, which makes the candidates older on average.

Interestingly, I don't think it's the voters who evaluate on this criterion but the candidates themselves. Someone with a penchant for administration is going to prefer a gubernatorial role to serving in Congress.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2024, 07:23:08 PM »

I don't think that's the way it's normally been.  Governors in many states have had term limits, while Senators can run for reelection endlessly.  That generally means that the Governor's mansion is a stepping stone to the Senate.

It's been 2012 since we've had a Governor on a National Ticket (a FORMER Governor not strongly identified with the state he was Governor of).  Before that, it was George W. Bush in 2000, and before that, it was Bill Clinton in 1992.  Before that, it was Michael Dukakis in 1988.  Before that, it was Ronald Reagan in 1980 (a former Governor).  Before that, it was Jimmy Carter in 1976.  Before that, it was Thomas Dewey in 1948 (unless you count George Walllace's Independent bid in 1972, and then you'd have to count Lester Maddox's Independent Bid in 1976.)

On the other hand, Kamala Harris was a Senator in 2020.   3 of 4 party nominees in 2008 were Senators. Before that, you would have to go back to 1984 to where there was no Senator on a National Ticket.  There was no Senator on the national ticket in 1980, but from there, you have to go back to 1936 to find a year where there was no Senator on a national ticket.

Some Senators go home to run for Governor.  Pete Wilson did it in California.  Mike Braun is trying to do it now in Indiana.  Lawton Chiles did it after resigning as Senator, but that was because he was suffering from major depression his last years in the Senate.  Mike DeWine ran for Lt. Governor and Governor after being defeated for the Senate in 2006.  But it usually goes the other way.  People are usually the Governor before they are the Senator.  Jim Justice and Rick Scott are the norm.

Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 08:33:32 PM »

I never thought about this especially considering the amount of boomers that are still in the senate, but now that you mention it I think that you may have a good point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 10:26:39 PM »

There is some personality differences. Arnold was never going to be Senator.

For a smaller state, Senator would be more prestigious. Would you rather be a Senate Pro Tempore like Ted Stevens or Patrick Leahy or a governor of one of those states?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies