What’s the worst city in the U.S. with a population over 100,000?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:01:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What’s the worst city in the U.S. with a population over 100,000?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What’s the worst city in the U.S. with a population over 100,000?  (Read 526 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2024, 04:53:27 AM »

Jackson, MS?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 06:31:09 AM »

Probably some overgrown Sun Belt suburb that voted for Trump.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 07:19:56 AM »

In terms of worst to live in, I can't argue with that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 08:41:52 AM »

Of the ones I've spent time in, probably Montgomery.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 11:00:15 AM »

I'd still take living in Jackson over some soulless exurb like Concord, NC or Surprise, AZ

A population cutoff of 100k is really too small to answer this question meaningfully, as there are just too many different community typologies within that range.  Thinking of only cities more than 500k, I'd probably choose either Albuquerque or El Paso.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 11:09:02 AM »

Out of the cities I've been to, Jackson, MS and Macon, GA were the worst.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 03:04:37 PM »

Toss-up between Downey and Bakersfield for me, though that might just be because I haven't found someone willing to take me to Victorville to visit where the Victorville Film Archives used to be before Tim Heidecker selfishly destroyed much of the collection.

I'm not sure if people don't want to change their clocks to Victorville Film Time or it is because the city is that terrifying.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 03:15:55 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2024, 03:42:50 PM by TheReckoning »

I'd still take living in Jackson over some soulless exurb like Concord, NC or Surprise, AZ

A population cutoff of 100k is really too small to answer this question meaningfully, as there are just too many different community typologies within that range.  Thinking of only cities more than 500k, I'd probably choose either Albuquerque or El Paso.

I mean, there’s a reason why the population of those exurbs is exploding while the population of Jackson is declining.

El Paso is probably the best large city in the Southern United States to live in.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 06:28:02 PM »

Toss-up between Downey and Bakersfield for me, though that might just be because I haven't found someone willing to take me to Victorville to visit where the Victorville Film Archives used to be before Tim Heidecker selfishly destroyed much of the collection.

I'm not sure if people don't want to change their clocks to Victorville Film Time or it is because the city is that terrifying.

Please don't spread this misinformation! The Victorville Film Archive is still thriving despite the destruction of the Film Center, including the terrific Victorville Film Network!
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 06:35:53 PM »

Oakland
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 11:06:31 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2024, 11:25:35 PM by Mr. Smith »

Mesa, but really, anywhere around Phoenix will do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 11:14:25 PM »

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever been to a particularly bad city with a population over 100k, unless I crossed into some overgrown Texas suburb at some point. Hoover, Alabama is just under 100k. Flint, MI was over 100k in relatively recent years, but it's not now or when I was there. Rockford, IL is kind of an ill city with a serious post-industrial decline that really pales in comparison to Chicago, but it's hardly a terrible place.

The worst one is probably...Kansas City, Kansas? Really doesn't seem to have really anything going for it, it's kind of the rejected area of the KC metro. Aside from that you can live in Kansas, arguably the more liberal state than Missouri at this point.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »

Lakewood.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2024, 07:03:19 AM »

Had no idea Lakewood was now over 100,000 people - in fact according to the census it's 136,000!

Had to work down in Lakewood for a few days as part of a summer job with a civil engineering company. It had the absolute worst roads I have ever driven on - potholes everywhere. I'd guess the rapid growth outpaces any attempt to keep up the infrastructure.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2024, 07:42:51 AM »

Any city in Florida with a population over 100,000
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2024, 02:25:43 PM »

Had no idea Lakewood was now over 100,000 people - in fact according to the census it's 136,000!

Had to work down in Lakewood for a few days as part of a summer job with a civil engineering company. It had the absolute worst roads I have ever driven on - potholes everywhere. I'd guess the rapid growth outpaces any attempt to keep up the infrastructure.

Places like Lakewood - cultish Jewish communities - have insane growth rates because families there have several children, way more than the national average (related to this, they also have low median ages).

It's not that they're attracting new residents, it's that the residents keep the population growing with how many children they have.

See also: Kiryas Joel, NY, with a median age of 13.2, and a whopping 63% growth rate between 2010 and 2020
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2024, 03:05:31 PM »

A population cutoff of 100k is really too small to answer this question meaningfully, as there are just too many different community typologies within that range.  Thinking of only cities more than 500k, I'd probably choose either Albuquerque or El Paso.

What is so bad about Albuquerque?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2024, 03:21:57 PM »

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever been to a particularly bad city with a population over 100k, unless I crossed into some overgrown Texas suburb at some point. Hoover, Alabama is just under 100k. Flint, MI was over 100k in relatively recent years, but it's not now or when I was there. Rockford, IL is kind of an ill city with a serious post-industrial decline that really pales in comparison to Chicago, but it's hardly a terrible place.

The worst one is probably...Kansas City, Kansas? Really doesn't seem to have really anything going for it, it's kind of the rejected area of the KC metro. Aside from that you can live in Kansas, arguably the more liberal state than Missouri at this point.

It's a real tough contest for sh**ttiest suburb between them and Dependence.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2024, 01:33:59 AM »

Any city in Florida with a population over 100,000

Any city in Florida
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2024, 01:56:31 AM »

Hialeah?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2024, 07:20:52 AM »

In the Midwest it’s probably Indianapolis.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2024, 09:21:54 AM »

I have some family ties in Indiana and have considered it as a future possibility to live but the fact that it's the most car-dependent city in America rules it out. I hate cars and cities that are built around them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2024, 09:26:50 AM »

I have some family ties in Indiana and have considered it as a future possibility to live but the fact that it's the most car-dependent city in America rules it out. I hate cars and cities that are built around them.
It's not? According to this it's not even top 10: https://www.kake.com/story/41622894/the-most-car-dependent-cities-in-america

It's been awhile since I've been there but it definitely didn't give the impression of either a car dependent city or a robust public transit city, just kind of middling.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2024, 09:34:58 AM »

It's not? According to this it's not even top 10: https://www.kake.com/story/41622894/the-most-car-dependent-cities-in-america

It's been awhile since I've been there but it definitely didn't give the impression of either a car dependent city or a robust public transit city, just kind of middling.

Ah, my mistake. I was going by the metric in this article (linked on Wikipedia): https://www.indystar.com/story/news/environment/2021/05/04/indianapolis-bike-lanes-could-future-indy-cyclists-national-bike-month/7375041002/ that says Indianapolis residents drive more miles per year than any other city's, which I guess isn't quite the same thing as car dependency but still doesn't seem great.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2024, 11:16:58 AM »

Agreed. I spent an evening in Jackson and it did not seem especially vibrant, but it still was more interesting than living in a megasuburb.

Thinking of only cities more than 500k, I'd probably choose either Albuquerque or El Paso.

I've heard great things about El Paso. Seems like a gem. ABQ I've heard more mixed reviews.

Of the ones I've spent time in, probably Montgomery.

My time in Montgomery wasn't awful but it did seem lackluster and a little sad. Nowhere near as fun as Birmingham.

I liked Hoover. I had some great Asian food there.

(KCKS seems like a plausible choice though)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies