AI-Chip Maker Nvidia Now Most Valuable Listed Company on Wall Street
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:39:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  AI-Chip Maker Nvidia Now Most Valuable Listed Company on Wall Street
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AI-Chip Maker Nvidia Now Most Valuable Listed Company on Wall Street  (Read 1206 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2024, 11:15:52 PM »
« edited: June 18, 2024, 11:39:42 PM by Frodo »

More valuable than either Microsoft, Apple, or Amazon:

Nvidia’s Ascent to Most Valuable Company Has Echoes of Dot-Com Boom

And since my access has switched from MSN to the Wall Street Journal for which I have no subscription, I am posting a CNN link to the same story:

Nvidia surpasses Microsoft to become the largest public company in the world

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 12:06:16 AM »

The trough of disillusionment can't come soon enough.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 02:12:32 AM »

Not before AI transforms our economy, society, and our lives as deeply and profoundly as the personal computer, the Windows operating system, the internet, the smart phone, and social media.  And like all of them, it will be a two-sided blade -there will be benefits and tradeoffs.  
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 02:27:30 AM »

It feels like the public's excitement for AI-generated crap has crested now that we're seeing search engines ruined and customer service made even worse. A lot of the novelty is gone, plus it's heavily associated with scams now so you'd think that would hurt its reputation in the long run.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 02:30:34 AM »

wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 08:19:44 AM »

When will their financial statements of the last semester come?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 09:03:23 AM »

When will their financial statements of the last semester come?
Last one was May 22nd so August 20th ish
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 11:07:45 AM »

I actually bought a little stock from them on a whim on the Stash app a few months ago...and damn has the value surged.

I didn't realize that they made chips for AI mostly though...now I'm feeling guilty. Wondering if I should dump the stock and reinvest elsewhere.
GM Team Member and Acting PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 02:52:15 PM »

Not before AI transforms our economy, society, and our lives as deeply and profoundly as the personal computer, the Windows operating system, the internet, the smart phone, and social media.  And like all of them, it will be a two-sided blade -there will be benefits and tradeoffs. 

AI absolutely has the potential to be that impactful... but not in the way that these groups have been pushing it. At this point it's absolutely a bubble.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 03:48:26 PM »

Not before AI transforms our economy, society, and our lives as deeply and profoundly as the personal computer, the Windows operating system, the internet, the smart phone, and social media.  And like all of them, it will be a two-sided blade -there will be benefits and tradeoffs. 

AI absolutely has the potential to be that impactful... but not in the way that these groups have been pushing it. At this point it's absolutely a bubble.

It doesn't help that the most hyped kind of "AI" is the most useless. Generating hideous kitsch art is not very useful in any real-world situation. If anything, the bland, error-filled art and writing is devaluing a lot of products and platforms. It has the potential to completely destroy what's left search engines, and using it for customer service is just lawsuits waiting to happen.

The AI that can transform the world for the better doesn't seem to be getting much attention.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 06:54:51 PM »

Arguably then a dot com bubble. A bit too early and wrong sectors but original thesis was in reality .
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2024, 11:06:16 AM »

Arguably then a dot com bubble. A bit too early and wrong sectors but original thesis was in reality .
Maybe I should dump my stock then.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 12:14:04 PM »

Perhaps, Cisco has never recovered although MSFT and Amazon have .
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2024, 01:32:19 PM »

The thing is, Nvidia isn't particularly overvalued when you look at its earnings and revenue growth. I have some shares and don't plan to sell them anytime soon. AI is in its infant stages still and Nvidia is far and away the leader in chips.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2024, 07:56:25 PM »

Nirvana tanked in the past few days, and that alone dragged down the S and P 500 by a tad, since the average is weighted.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2024, 09:14:08 AM »

Nirvana tanked in the past few days, and that alone dragged down the S and P 500 by a tad, since the average is weighted.

If it tanks enough, I'm going to buy more stock in it Smiley
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2024, 11:22:55 AM »

You have a speculator instinct that I don't share, but then I have reached critical mass due due to my real estate investment far more tan what I earned as an attorney. Do you invest in real estate? Charleston is a charming town. You are so fortunate to live there.  Cheesy 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies