SB 110-14: Save the Senate Amendment (revised) - Failed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 05:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 110-14: Save the Senate Amendment (revised) - Failed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 110-14: Save the Senate Amendment (revised) - Failed  (Read 553 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2024, 12:50:13 AM »

Make the judicial thing a separate amendment.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2024, 06:00:57 AM »

If I remove the judicial section, pretty sure the entire SNP 7 votes No which makes it mathematically impossible to get 12 votes to do anything.

Correct.

A shame the do nothing left seems content to go another year without courts rather than letting someone else play for a change. What is Gass at, 8 consecutive years? And chief justice non-existent-account. But oh, its better to break the game and have no courts than let someone not in CommieCord make a nomination once.
Attorney General & LGC Deputy Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2024, 10:37:57 PM »

10-5-0-3, two-thirds of the body NOT being in the affirmative, the amendment is not agreed to.

----

I understand the real worries about the incoming administration, but I would urge the next Senate to consider the long-term health of the game itself. We are not deciding what type of game we want, we are instead deciding whether to have a game *at all*.  With low turnout, we cannot possibly continue to staff 18 senate seats going forward in a way that provides competitive, engaging elections for the populace to take part in.

With respect to the Judicial Section, I would note that not only is the current supreme court completely dead, leaving the game just 1 court-contested election away from utter extinction, but that the right, several of whom voted well before polls closed, was willing to vote to give Tim, who with the Presidency would have had a Senate Majority next term, carte blanche to appoint two new justices. This is not about ideology for anyone that voted for this. This is about saving a game that again, is just 1 election crisis away from utter extinction. I would note that the secession crisis was solved in part by an active supreme court at the time. Yes, secession could actually succeed if it was not tried until today. That is how far we have fallen in just one short year.

Last year, with a 14-4 Non-SNP majority, we could do what we wanted, and did. I remain proud of the Amendment to Strip Secession from the Constitution, along with the Fair Democracy Amendment. But now we sit in an 11-7 body, and no side has the ability to get their Wishlist done. We must work together, and prioritize the activity and existence of the game, over short and even medium term ideological wins. At some point, activity must take priority. The time to talk about reform because the electorate likes it and then do nothing is over. The time to act must arrive quickly, before it is too late, forever.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies