Do you know people who don't know Taylor Swift?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 06:52:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you know people who don't know Taylor Swift?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you know people who don't know Taylor Swift?  (Read 247 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2024, 09:59:20 PM »

Is there anyone in your family, school, college or workplace who have never heard about Taylor Swift?

I used to think that the share of people in the late 1980s who have heard about Madonna in countries which had universal access to TV was closer to 100% than the share of people who have heard about Taylor Swift nowadays.

In the late 1980s, the most important media were TV, radio, newspapers and magazines. There was a mass audience. When a celebrity was often presented on TV, almost everyone knows him/her.

Nowadays, there are social networks, spotfy, streaming services. There is no mass audience like in the time of the dominance of the TV. So, there are more music artists >10% of the people know but I though there were less music artists almost 100% of the people know.

But I checked in YouGov and saw that 97% of the adults in the UK have heard about Taylor Swift.
https://today.yougov.com/topics/entertainment/explore/music_artist/Taylor_Swift

And you? Does all your social circle know her?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 11:58:40 PM »

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't have.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 04:10:41 AM »

I would bet most of my extended family does not know who Taylor Swift is, even a few of my friends too. I can't say for sure because she just (almost) never comes up in our conversations. Her media phenomenon only filters through in a very reduced fashion in this country.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 06:41:30 AM »

I couldn't name or even recognize one song as hers. Does this count?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 01:31:48 PM »

I know she exists, her music isn't for me, and some of her fans are annoying, but that's it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 02:34:13 PM »

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe my 91 year old grandma and a bunch of older relatives in Greece like my uncle.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 05:52:51 PM »

Maybe my Italian grandma.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 08:29:26 PM »

Is there anyone in your family, school, college or workplace who have never heard about Taylor Swift?

I used to think that the share of people in the late 1980s who have heard about Madonna in countries which had universal access to TV was closer to 100% than the share of people who have heard about Taylor Swift nowadays.

In the late 1980s, the most important media were TV, radio, newspapers and magazines. There was a mass audience. When a celebrity was often presented on TV, almost everyone knows him/her.

Nowadays, there are social networks, spotfy, streaming services. There is no mass audience like in the time of the dominance of the TV. So, there are more music artists >10% of the people know but I though there were less music artists almost 100% of the people know.

But I checked in YouGov and saw that 97% of the adults in the UK have heard about Taylor Swift.

North Koreans have never heard of her.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2024, 01:29:16 PM »

Go ask The Amish. They have to be one of the largest demographics that are clueless about pop culture.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2024, 03:11:04 PM »

I couldn't name or even recognize one song as hers. Does this count?

I think this is a reality of many people.

Probably, in countries connected to the media, people who have never heard about Madonna, Michael Jackson and Queen in the 1980s and have never heard about Taylor Swift today are equally close to zero. But I think almost everybody in the 1980s know that "Like a Prayer" was a Madonna's song, "Thriller" was a Michael Jackson's song and "We are the champions" was a Queen song. Nowadays, I believe that not few people know who is Taylor Swift but can't name or recognize one song of her.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2024, 03:11:58 PM »

I think you were right in the first place, for the reasons you stated. As I think someone else here has pointed out, those YouGov surveys are good for measuring how famous a particular person is in comparison to another person, but probably less so for measuring how famous a person is in isolation. In any case, Taylor Swift is only one example. Someone mentioned a singer with the word 'bunny' in their name a while back and implied that the person was a huge celebrity. The YouGov US website only had this person at something like 66% familiarity.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2024, 05:04:45 PM »

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe my 91 year old grandma and a bunch of older relatives in Greece like my uncle.

Most of the adult people here in Greece have no idea who Swift is.
Her music has zero appeal to anybody who has graduated high school.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2024, 05:00:31 AM »

As for Madonna and other 1980s celebrities, I would be similarly shocked if my great-grandparents had been familiar with her at the time (let alone people older than them, as they were "only" in their sixties or seventies).
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2024, 03:48:02 PM »

As for Madonna and other 1980s celebrities, I would be similarly shocked if my great-grandparents had been familiar with her at the time (let alone people older than them, as they were "only" in their sixties or seventies).

I didn't talk to my grandparents about this topic, but I believe they have heard about Michael Jackson, Madonna and Queen in the 1980s. There was no Internet, no pay TV, and almost everyone in Brazil used to watch TV show "Fantástico" on Sunday evening. "Fantástico" showed news, entertainment and also music video clips.

MTV was introduced in Brazil only in 1990. The audience of this channel was only middle class young people. When MTV was introduced, "Fantástico" stopped showing music video clips, and people who didn't have the intent to follow international pop music stopped having contact to international pop music.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 05:23:32 PM »

As in people who have literally never heard the name before? No, I don't know anyone who lives under a rock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies