How scared are you personally of gun violence?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:09:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How scared are you personally of gun violence?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How scared are you personally of gun violence?  (Read 345 times)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2024, 07:51:34 PM »

Personally, I was probably a 7 out of 10 before. After today's SCOTUS decision legalizing bump stocks again, I'm probably more like a 9. How about you all?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 08:13:41 PM »

0.2 out of 10

why would your level of fear go up 20% because bump stocks* were unbanned?

*as far as anyone knows, a bump stock has been used all of once to commit a crime in the US, yes it was pretty bad, but it was one.  UHauls have been used to commit way more crimes, at least one of them every bit as bad.  Also, a "bump stock" is a small, hard object.  It doesn't have to be a specific shape, it doesn't have to be made out of a specific material.  You can't ban small hard things.  "bump stocks" didn't magically stop existing once Trump did the illegal thing
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 12:32:56 AM »

1, if that.  I just assume a number of my fellow employees are probably carrying concealed weapons, and just go about my day like I always do.     
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 02:34:50 AM »

I'm not afraid for myself. I'm afraid for those I know and care about. There is a part of me that is terrified for those I know.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 10:44:30 AM »

Weirdly, only when I'm in a movie theater.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 11:18:58 AM »

It’s amazing how I’m still not entirely sure if SnowLabrador is just a troll or has a severe anxiety disorder.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 11:20:30 AM »

Not much, being from Germany.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 12:49:51 PM »

I live in a big city.

Is there a possibility gun violence could erupt? Yeah. Would I really prefer not to be a victim of it? Of course. But you can't be afraid of something that is literally unpredictable to that degree or else you'd be just better off never leaving your house. I have anxiety but I also have to be realistic. A friend told me there was a crazy man with a shotgun on the subway the other day. Could've turned violent but the cops were vigilant. This could always happen and I'm whatever to it.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 06:10:20 PM »

It’s amazing how I’m still not entirely sure if SnowLabrador is just a troll or has a severe anxiety disorder.

I would think that gun violence is a very legitimate thing for an American citizen to be afraid of, unless they're living abroad.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 08:01:06 PM »

Common crime?, the normal in South America.
A crazy man´s shooting?, nearly nothing.
Did you watch Taxi Driver? He bought his guns the way people down here buy theirs.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2024, 08:07:42 PM »

I'm from Sandy Hook. On the day of the elementary school shooting, I was a high school senior under lockdown. I vividly remember all the attention we received - Obama speaking at my high school, seeing Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper at the vigil, all the letters sent to us from around the country and some internationally. The mood of the town changed dramatically after that happened. When the Senate rejected a bipartisan background checks bill, it became clear as day that the NRA owns much of our government.

At the same time, I have to say it's foolhardy to oppose the Second Amendment when we literally have a (currently favored!) presidential candidate who said he would be a dictator on day one. That kind of thing is exactly why we have a Second Amendment, and the left needs to grow a pair for once.

No, I don't want lunatics, terrorists, or domestic abusers having access to guns. But I also don't want the police or the government to have a monopoly on the use of force, especially with authoritarianism being on the rise in many regards. If you support strict gun control, you essentially believe that the government should have unlimited power. There was even one poster who nonchalantly said "it is what it is" if an innocent person is killed because they weren't allowed to defend themself against criminals who do not follow the law.

Gun control works great in Australia, England, Japan... most developed countries, really. But gun culture is so ingrained in American society that I'm skeptical of certain gun control proposals being implemented here. I'm definitely a moderate hero on this issue, and gun control is one thing that I disagree with the modern left on. Karl Marx had it right on this - and I'm not a Marxist.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 08:57:30 PM »

I'm from Sandy Hook. On the day of the elementary school shooting, I was a high school senior under lockdown. I vividly remember all the attention we received - Obama speaking at my high school, seeing Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper at the vigil, all the letters sent to us from around the country and some internationally. The mood of the town changed dramatically after that happened. When the Senate rejected a bipartisan background checks bill, it became clear as day that the NRA owns much of our government.

At the same time, I have to say it's foolhardy to oppose the Second Amendment when we literally have a (currently favored!) presidential candidate who said he would be a dictator on day one. That kind of thing is exactly why we have a Second Amendment, and the left needs to grow a pair for once.

No, I don't want lunatics, terrorists, or domestic abusers having access to guns. But I also don't want the police or the government to have a monopoly on the use of force, especially with authoritarianism being on the rise in many regards. If you support strict gun control, you essentially believe that the government should have unlimited power. There was even one poster who nonchalantly said "it is what it is" if an innocent person is killed because they weren't allowed to defend themself against criminals who do not follow the law.

Gun control works great in Australia, England, Japan... most developed countries, really. But gun culture is so ingrained in American society that I'm skeptical of certain gun control proposals being implemented here. I'm definitely a moderate hero on this issue, and gun control is one thing that I disagree with the modern left on. Karl Marx had it right on this - and I'm not a Marxist.

Supporting the "guns for everyone" status quo as some kind of check on state power is pretty ridiculous, imo. How many times has someone actually used their personal firearm to defeat a cop or military personnel who was in the wrong? Never afaik. Breonna Taylor's boyfriend had a legal gun. Didn't save his girlfriend and if he had gunned down the cops who were wrongfully in his home he would have gotten the electric chair.
What it does is create an environment where cops who aren't trained to know how to act in warzones assume everyone has a gun and act accordingly.

You do get a lot of this, though: https://www.wdbj7.com/2024/06/10/off-duty-security-guard-fatally-shoots-teen-returning-bb-gun-store-prosecutors-say/
That's that beautiful Second Amendment at work.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2024, 09:41:14 PM »

Supporting the "guns for everyone" status quo as some kind of check on state power is pretty ridiculous, imo. How many times has someone actually used their personal firearm to defeat a cop or military personnel who was in the wrong? Never afaik. Breonna Taylor's boyfriend had a legal gun. Didn't save his girlfriend and if he had gunned down the cops who were wrongfully in his home he would have gotten the electric chair.
What it does is create an environment where cops who aren't trained to know how to act in warzones assume everyone has a gun and act accordingly.

You do get a lot of this, though: https://www.wdbj7.com/2024/06/10/off-duty-security-guard-fatally-shoots-teen-returning-bb-gun-store-prosecutors-say/

Those are situations where shooting a rogue cop in self-defense is justified, and the law should reflect that as well.

Strict gun control will not make people more averse to guns in the same way abortion bans will not make people more averse to abortion. You need to compromise and come to peace with the problems that exist in society and then work to fix those underlying problems. Violent criminals, by definition, do not follow the law and gun bans are no exception.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2024, 10:20:48 PM »

I would think that gun violence is a very legitimate thing for an American citizen to be afraid of, unless they're living abroad.
there were 18,874 Americans killed by guns against their wishes last year, there were 341,735,083 Americans, a ratio of 1:18,106.  Not a big enough number, sure, but also plenty big enough for you to not worry about.  (and actually the number is far lower for you due to your race and zip code, your age and gender don't help, but I would imagine there are other factors that make you safer than average too)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 06:39:39 PM »

I work in a school but not really. Maybe 1. I think about possible gun violence at work maybe 2-3 times a year, briefly, and I am not filled with fear about the prospect.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2024, 08:09:03 PM »

I understand you want to strip guns from everyone, so that the government can do whatever it may uncontested. I know you're with Biden in mocking the "Tree of liberty" quote. But...Thank god for the second amendment.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2024, 07:49:42 PM »

None, because it hasn't affected me personally (yet). Plus I'm very conflicted about the gun control issue; it's extremely hard for me to make up my mind.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:31:58 AM »

Probably a 3.

In the day to day and most situations, it'd be a 1, but given my occupation and the chance of somebody doing something real messed up is an 5. Yeah, most of the clientele just prefer to use illicit substances or get into fights, but there's always someone.

Also I do still live in Texas, and not any of the big 3 metros either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies