United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 03:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 133
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 109039 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: May 30, 2024, 09:40:22 AM »

Yet another proof of the incompetence of the left of the party. They should have had their bogus complain against Reeves ready in case it happened.

It is widely believed that the complaint against LRM is not from somebody on the Labour right. Which of course means it might be personal, rather than primarily factionally motivated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1226 on: May 30, 2024, 09:57:19 AM »

Yet another proof of the incompetence of the left of the party. They should have had their bogus complain against Reeves ready in case it happened.

It is widely believed that the complaint against LRM is not from somebody on the Labour right. Which of course means it might be personal, rather than primarily factionally motivated.

Or that, if it is political, it might be in quite a different way. Crossposting this from elsewhere:

The precise phrasing of his statement is not very suggestive of it either. It's an understandable assumption to leap to at first, especially given some of the divisions in Brighton over the past decade, but currently it doesn't look like it's that.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1227 on: May 30, 2024, 11:09:51 AM »

https://x.com/dylanwwfc/status/1795934440826270104
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1228 on: May 30, 2024, 11:23:44 AM »

So Mr Darcy's mate is a guy who thinks the UN is anti-Semitic.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1229 on: May 30, 2024, 11:36:49 AM »

It’s fair to say at least a couple of them are hyper factional/a bit thick and won’t have much to contribute in government.
I can't possibly imagine who you might be thinking of here, no sirree Smiley

Though if They Who Must Not Be Named *does* have to be given a seat, there are worse options.
He has a new rival in the soon to be MP for Makerfield who in his role as a think tank director said we should deport human traffickers to Scotland 😋
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1230 on: May 30, 2024, 11:41:42 AM »

He has a new rival in the soon to be MP for Makerfield who in his role as a think tank director said we should deport human traffickers to Scotland 😋

You have no idea how many times I’m going to hear that repeated over the next five years 😒
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1231 on: May 30, 2024, 11:43:14 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2024, 02:19:38 PM by Torrain »

And when he says *former* Tory MP, Pike means when Parliament was dissolved this morning.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1232 on: May 30, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »

And when he says *former* Tory MP, Pikes means when Parliament was dissolved this morning.

A 2019er and not exactly the most prominent of them. Still, it's not a great headline for the Tories after a day or two of Labour troubles getting the bulk of media attention. He's in a category of people who have been parliamentary candidates in both GB and NI - he was the Tory candidate in Antrim East in 2017.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1233 on: May 30, 2024, 01:10:09 PM »

And when he says *former* Tory MP, Pikes means when Parliament was dissolved this morning.

From his letter I get the impression that he was expected to stand as the Conservative candidate.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1234 on: May 30, 2024, 01:53:31 PM »

From his letter I get the impression that he was expected to stand as the Conservative candidate.

Yeah - sounds like that was the case until yesterday. Hopefully they’ll be able to find some bright young thing looking for some electoral experience to replace him, rather than conscripting a weary old councillor.

Have to move quick though - all of 72 hours to get them lined up, along with over 100 others…
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1235 on: May 30, 2024, 02:17:52 PM »

Have to move quick though - all of 72 hours to get them lined up, along with over 100 others…

Those of us who have followed many General Elections will be aware that controversies about candidates typically come in two distinct waves. The first is about the process itself, and is invariably dominated by news of disputes, deselections and alleged stitch-ups from Labour. The second is about lunatics who have somehow managed to slip through the net: if it ever gets going in a big way (i.e. beyond 'candidate in Hopeless Seat West said X'), then the Conservatives typically dominate this phase.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1236 on: May 30, 2024, 02:59:27 PM »

Goodness me, but a lot of Trade Union officials are getting selected at the last moment. Who would have thought!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1237 on: May 30, 2024, 03:04:58 PM »

Goodness me, but a lot of Trade Union officials are getting selected at the last moment. Who would have thought!

I have my issues with Labour, but it's nice to see they still take their name somewhat seriously in terms of their political leadership selection.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1238 on: May 30, 2024, 03:14:22 PM »

I have my issues with Labour, but it's nice to see they still take their name somewhat seriously in terms of their political leadership selection.
Although it’s very much well connected union officials, many of whom have never done a day on the shop floor, rather than ordinary workers.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1239 on: May 30, 2024, 03:24:33 PM »

Although it’s very much well connected union officials, many of whom have never done a day on the shop floor, rather than ordinary workers.

Still often quite involved in unions though, which is effectively a full time job and not through choice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1240 on: May 30, 2024, 03:33:15 PM »

Still often quite involved in unions though, which is effectively a full time job and not through choice.

Yeah, Michels' iron law of oligarchy remains an unfortunate reality, but if a party is to have an oligarchy it could do worse than to draw it from the ranks of organizations whose bread and butter is still defending workers' interests.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1241 on: May 30, 2024, 03:33:24 PM »

Two more polls. Changes small, but YouGov’s topline remains startling, so thought worth including.

BMG:
  • LAB: 43% (+2)
  • CON: 27% (+2)
  • RFM: 11% (-3)
  • LDM: 9% (=)
  • GRN: 6% (=)

YouGov:
  • LAB: 46% (-1)
  • CON: 21% (+1)
  • RFM: 15% (+3)
  • LDM: 8% (-1)
  • GRN: 6% (-1)
  • SNP: 2% (-1)
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #1242 on: May 30, 2024, 03:41:14 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cqee94582d5o

Sinn Féin not running in four NI constituencies. It seems like the nationalist and unionists are both expanding their pacts from last time.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1243 on: May 30, 2024, 03:55:58 PM »

Sinn Féin not running in four NI constituencies. It seems like the nationalist and unionists are both expanding their pacts from last time.
De facto an endorsement of Alliance in 3/4 constituencies who will gain very few votes off Sinn Fein but risk being seem as the anti-unionist party in areas that are still majority unionist, albeit moderate enough that the DUP can alienate enough voters to lose them.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1244 on: May 30, 2024, 04:28:49 PM »

Two more polls. Changes small, but YouGov’s topline remains startling, so thought worth including.

BMG:
  • LAB: 43% (+2)
  • CON: 27% (+2)
  • RFM: 11% (-3)
  • LDM: 9% (=)
  • GRN: 6% (=)

YouGov:
  • LAB: 46% (-1)
  • CON: 21% (+1)
  • RFM: 15% (+3)
  • LDM: 8% (-1)
  • GRN: 6% (-1)
  • SNP: 2% (-1)

Reform’s % is all over the place in these polls. Either getting squeezed or still holding steady in the teens. We’ll see which one is correct, I suppose.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1245 on: May 30, 2024, 04:47:32 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2024, 04:50:41 PM by Tintrlvr »

The only one where SF is at all relevant is Belfast South but that one is actually significant. If SF ran there would be at least a chance for the DUP to come up through the middle again as they did in 2017 (especially with the expanded seat as I think the areas of Down it expanded into are solidly unionist).

It is interesting that the Alliance despite its historic reputation as a unionist party for people who don't want to be called unionists is mainly and increasingly forming alliances with and attracting tactical voters from the nationalist parties.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1246 on: May 30, 2024, 04:50:53 PM »

Yeah, Michels' iron law of oligarchy remains an unfortunate reality, but if a party is to have an oligarchy it could do worse than to draw it from the ranks of organizations whose bread and butter is still defending workers' interests.
Michels law of oligarchy is not made of Iron!!!
Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1247 on: May 30, 2024, 04:58:11 PM »

FT out with a good adjustable prediction model

Striking how the Tory seat total collapses so quickly:
24%: 134
23%: 120
22%: 96
21%: 65
20%: 29
19%: 11
18%: 3
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1248 on: May 30, 2024, 05:01:01 PM »

It's one of the ways in which the famous 'organic link' shows itself. Trade Unions are heavily represented on various internals bodies and panels including, critically in this instance, the NEC. And while there are the usual factional and subfactional and etc. divisions on such bodies, different elements will tend to push their own interests.
Epaminondas

« Reply #1249 on: May 30, 2024, 05:17:29 PM »

Striking how the Tory seat total collapses so quickly:
24%: 134
23%: 120
22%: 96
21%: 65
20%: 29
19%: 11
18%: 3

The predictions break down when unreasonable boundaries are crossed. See what happens to the Greens if they reach 20% and above.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 133  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies