Opinion of "reverse proselytizion" against door knocking Jehovah's Witnesses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 05:51:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of "reverse proselytizion" against door knocking Jehovah's Witnesses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of "reverse proselytizion" against door knocking Jehovah's Witnesses
Freedom Action

Horrible Action

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Opinion of "reverse proselytizion" against door knocking Jehovah's Witnesses  (Read 700 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2024, 06:50:13 PM »

This is basically liberal Christians trying to convert the JWs coming after them or at least explaining why their religion is a lie and they need a true relationship with Jesus Christ. I imagine conservative Christians do it too but only heard about it from liberals.

Anyway obvious FA.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 06:57:48 AM »

Cringe like all proselytism.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 11:33:54 AM »

The best way to deal with this particular cult is to tell them you used to be a member and left. They aren’t allowed to even speak to an apostate, so they will leave immediately and ignore you forever after that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 02:36:59 PM »

HA because it reinforces the victim complex that the JWs try to instill in their missionaries.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 11:43:42 AM »

Side note, I get really annoyed when people call JWs "modern day Arians" simply because they desperately want to connect that extinct theology to a modern group.  Frankly, the Arians' beliefs were (A) much, much more interesting, (B) WAY closer to Nicene Christianity than a lot of the modern groups they get compared to and (C) genuinely based on their understanding of Scripture, even if it was misguided.  The Arians were fascinating, the JWs are not.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 12:18:59 PM »

Side note, I get really annoyed when people call JWs "modern day Arians" simply because they desperately want to connect that extinct theology to a modern group.  Frankly, the Arians' beliefs were (A) much, much more interesting, (B) WAY closer to Nicene Christianity than a lot of the modern groups they get compared to and (C) genuinely based on their understanding of Scripture, even if it was misguided.  The Arians were fascinating, the JWs are not.

It also gives the JWs more roots in history than they deserve. The JWs are just one of many crackpot, apocalyptic cults that sprung up in the 1800s.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 01:21:20 PM »

HA because it reinforces the victim complex that the JWs try to instill in their missionaries.

If they are leading with "your religion is a lie", then agreed. People today don't understand this well, but the key to bearing witness effectively is to be kind and respectful and meet people where they are at. Bringing people to the truth is a wonderful thing, but it needs to be done carefully or else you can harm a lot more than you can help.

My priest once said something similar to this. Comparing JWs to Arians is an insult to Arians, because Arius was much smarter than the JWs, or honestly most people writing about theology these days. He was wrong, but the deep metaphysical issues that he got at would scarcely be understood by anyone outside of a university philosophy department today.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2024, 12:11:54 PM »

Still against, but I do sympathize more these days to the idea, especially if it's by ex-members.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 10:17:15 PM »

I have a friend who has taken Mormon missionaries up on their offers to sit down and discuss religion.  He uses it as an opportunity to share why he believes what he does and ask the missionaries questions about their beliefs.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 11:01:03 PM »

The best way to deal with this particular cult is to tell them you used to be a member and left. They aren’t allowed to even speak to an apostate, so they will leave immediately and ignore you forever after that.
Once when I was in college and some (an elderly couple, weird ones to proselytize to a college student housing facility) came to my apartment complex I came up with this "brilliant" and very college student idea of meeting them holding a liquor bottle and taking shots. I figured this would scare them off because I assumed Jehova's Witnesses were banned from drinking.

I actually found out later my assumption was totally incorrect, JWs actually have a mainstream Christian position on alcohol and consider it fine to drink in moderation and if not done dangerously. I largely just was lumping them in with other legalistic sects like Mormons and Seventh-day Adventists who do outright prohibit alcohol, but they're actually permissive on this one.

Granted my idea sort of worked but perhaps for the wrong reason, I guess they figured the guy walking down the hallway carrying a rum bottle he was drinking straight out of wasn't a good proselytization target.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 02:48:43 PM »

From experience of chatting with such sects - more so Mormons - they seem well-equipped to deal with comments 'in reverse' if they think they are having a debate of an intellectual nature. Presumably your question implies a bit more vigour and less 'debate'.
Arson Plus
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2024, 09:06:37 PM »

This is basically liberal Christians trying to convert the JWs coming after them or at least explaining why their religion is a lie and they need a true relationship with Jesus Christ. I imagine conservative Christians do it too but only heard about it from liberals.

Anyway obvious FA.

Reading this post; it is apparent that you don’t know any JW’s. I grew up with JW family friends so I’ll give you an insight into their world. They live in a world filled with nonbelievers and they believe that those who are baptized as JWs will thrive in the earth after armageddon if they believe and follow the teachings of Jehovah and the JW organization. Growing up JW means that you will be different from others. You don’t celebrate any holidays and you sit outside while your classmates are having fun in holiday parties, and even your birthday or the birthdays of anyone else and you stay at home during Halloween while other kids are having fun knocking on doors and your door is being knocked on. You avoid the worldly/non-JW's and your JW congregation is essentially your extended family, and from your childhood you spread the message of Jehovah by knocking on doors and are used to rejection.

Honestly your reverse proselytization wouldn't work at all. Those who actively knock on doors are committed to the JW cause. 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies