1988 after 2 terms of HW Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:50:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1988 after 2 terms of HW Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1988 after 2 terms of HW Bush  (Read 480 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2024, 08:58:13 AM »

Bush wins the nomination in 1980 instead of Reagan and handily wins both 1980 and 1984. Ready to retire in 1988, there's an open seat election again. How does it turn out?

I suspect HW's VP would be the strong favorite for the nomination. I'm not sure whether Dukakis still becomes the Dem candidate.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 04:02:26 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2024, 04:05:45 PM by Agonized-Statism »

Vice President Jack Kemp (R-NY) / Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN) ✓
Governor Michael Dukakis (D-MA) / Congressman Dick Gephardt (D-MO)

The dynamics of the race would be a little different in that Republicans would be tacking to the right with Bush's inevitably more conservative vice president, which wouldn't necessarily be the best move as people were starting to turn against '80s excess. Dukakis is still nominated on the Massachusetts Miracle and all that, but the revolt of the agricultural and industrial sectors would be stronger without promises of "a kinder, gentler America" from a pre-neoliberal moderate Republican scion as OTL. Although Dukakis isn't the right candidate to channel that growing populist anger, he makes a much better choice for a running mate in Dick Gephardt. California also flips a little earlier without eight years of Reagan.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 09:53:19 AM »

Bush wins the nomination in 1980 instead of Reagan and handily wins both 1980 and 1984. Ready to retire in 1988, there's an open seat election again. How does it turn out?

I suspect HW's VP would be the strong favorite for the nomination. I'm not sure whether Dukakis still becomes the Dem candidate.
What if Reagan is just dead (from murder) in 1988 and H.W. had been President all these years instead?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 09:13:27 PM »

I don't see Bush having the personal appeal/likability after a 1981-88 Presidency that Reagan had in real life, thus I think the stronger Democratic contenders enter the race and narrowly beat Bush's VP.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 02:23:53 PM »

I don't see Bush having the personal appeal/likability after a 1981-88 Presidency that Reagan had in real life, thus I think the stronger Democratic contenders enter the race and narrowly beat Bush's VP.
Who'd be pick, Dole?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »

Who'd be pick, Dole?

Four years after he was on Ford's ticket? Doubtful. My bet would be Jack Kemp, Phil Crane or Paul Laxalt to appease the conservative wing.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 01:10:47 PM »

Who'd be pick, Dole?

Four years after he was on Ford's ticket? Doubtful. My bet would be Jack Kemp, Phil Crane or Paul Laxalt to appease the conservative wing.

This. Kemp is the only one of those three choices I can see having a shot at being elected too.
ClassicElectionEnthusiast
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 09:06:16 AM »

Who'd be pick, Dole?

This. Kemp is the only one of those three choices I can see having a shot at being elected too.

I would agree. Paul Laxalt never seemed (from what I've read of him) like someone I could see in high office (his real-life Presidential consideration never moved beyond the exploratory stage).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies