United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:04:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 124
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 99653 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: June 15, 2024, 11:27:33 AM »

Indeed the main campaign "news" seems to be Starmer ruling out increasing CGT on people's houses - something that never had the slightest chance of happening anyway (and, equally, doesn't preclude them changing it elsewhere, even if Reeves presently says they have "no plans" to)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2226 on: June 15, 2024, 11:29:26 AM »

Indeed the main campaign "news" seems to be Starmer ruling out increasing CGT on people's houses - something that never had the slightest chance of happening anyway (and, equally, doesn't preclude them changing it elsewhere, even if Reeves presently says they have "no plans" to)

A classic 'er... no? We won't be doing that. Why would we do that? What an odd thing to ask' moment really.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2227 on: June 15, 2024, 11:30:08 AM »

Why on earth would you put CGT on people selling their home?
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #2228 on: June 15, 2024, 11:43:06 AM »

I'm surprised it hasn't been commented that a former Prime Minister & beloved hero of the Red Wall hasn't really got involved; he's done a few identical videos from an office endorsing right wing allies of his, and his mail column but seeing as he were told he was very popular it's a surprise he isn't out campaigning, or even trying for a seat in Parliament!

Why should Boris be involved to save Sunak's party?

In the current Anti-Boris Conservative Party he can't even be selected in any seat.

If the Conservatives get decimated he ought to be able to return in any Labour held ex-safe Conservative seat, and become Leader-in-waiting.

Ditto if the Conservatives get replaced by Reform, he can join Reform and do the same.

If Boris does get involved in this election campaign it will be to back Reform. Would that even be surprising? Bet Farage has made the odd phone call to his old mate.......

It would be revenge served as a cold dish by Boris to his Tory enemies.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2229 on: June 15, 2024, 11:49:30 AM »

A rather slow day on the campaign front, with the news being dominated by the Princess of Wales making her first public appearance (at the annual Trooping of the Colour) since her cancer diagnosis. Of course, weekends are usually slower and most people pay less attention to the news on them.

And even less so when there are major international football competitions on.  
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #2230 on: June 15, 2024, 12:33:30 PM »

A rather slow day on the campaign front, with the news being dominated by the Princess of Wales making her first public appearance (at the annual Trooping of the Colour) since her cancer diagnosis. Of course, weekends are usually slower and most people pay less attention to the news on them.

And even less so when there are major international football competitions on.  

Well to spice it up:

Along with Opinium and JL Partners, Savanta are usually the best for the Conservatives.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2231 on: June 15, 2024, 12:37:14 PM »

Logical

« Reply #2232 on: June 15, 2024, 02:13:41 PM »

New Survation MRP

LAB 456
CON 72
LD 56
SNP 37
RFM 7
PC 2
GRN 1

The 7 Reform seats are :
Ashfield
Clacton
Exmouth and Exeter East
Great Yarmouth
Mid Leicestershire
North West Norfolk
South Suffolk

https://www.survation.com/mrp-update-first-mrp-since-farages-return/
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2233 on: June 15, 2024, 02:17:14 PM »

New Survation MRP

LAB 456
CON 72
LD 56
SNP 37
RFM 7
PC 2
GRN 1

The 7 Reform seats are :
Ashfield
Clacton
Exmouth and Exeter East
Great Yarmouth
Mid Leicestershire
North West Norfolk
South Suffolk

42,000 interviews is impressive!

And this appears to be a true best case scenario for Reform, and close to absolute worst case scenario for the Tories
Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2234 on: June 15, 2024, 02:22:12 PM »

New Survation MRP
https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1802049409984745504
LAB 456
CON 72
LD 56
SNP 37
RFM 7
PC 2
GRN 1

The 7 Reform seats are :
Ashfield
Clacton
Exmouth and Exeter East
Great Yarmouth
Mid Leicestershire
North West Norfolk
South Suffolk

Remarkable that the Conservatives get only 72 seats despite having 23.5% support, and Reform only 12.3%.

If the Tories were a few points lower and Reform a few points higher as in a lot of other polls we have seen recently, then this would be EVEN WORSE for the Tories in terms of seat count lol.

This is apparently what qualifies as a good poll for the Tories these days!!!
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2235 on: June 15, 2024, 02:23:41 PM »

The MRP seems… poorly tuned for local effects. Reform third in Boston and Skegness? Labour winning Epsom and Ewell? The Exmouth result is clearly the result of being lazy about accounting for Claire Wright’s campaign last time. Also seems to disregard by-election results entirely, which is obviously a mistake.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2236 on: June 15, 2024, 02:26:15 PM »

And this appears to be a true best case scenario for Reform, and close to absolute worst case scenario for the Tories

More like the opposite, at least in comparison to other recent polls. Compared to those, this is a high vote share for the Tories.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2237 on: June 15, 2024, 02:27:28 PM »

MRPs always look more impressive until you look at the individual constituency projections, which, and it is true in this case, are often really quite unintentionally amusing. Beyond some of the more obviously silly stuff, everything is always too flat.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2238 on: June 15, 2024, 02:32:30 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2024, 02:36:54 PM by JimJamUK »

New Survation MRP

LAB 456
CON 72
LD 56
SNP 37
RFM 7
PC 2
GRN 1

The 7 Reform seats are :
Ashfield
Clacton
Exmouth and Exeter East
Great Yarmouth
Mid Leicestershire
North West Norfolk
South Suffolk

I find these constituencies a bit odd. Clacton and North West Norfolk make sense as heavily Conservative, heavily leave voting constituencies where Reform will do very well. The other 5 are harder to explain. Mid Leicestershire strikes me as the sort of seat that could go Reform if we get Conservative crossover, but not 1 of only 7. South Suffolk is only 54% leave so I can’t see it going Reform unless they actually power ahead of the Conservatives. Great Yarmouth is a very good area for Reform but on 40% nationally Labour should still be ahead of them. Exmouth and Exeter East is not prime Reform territory, I’m wondering if the leftish independent from last time is skewing their model. Finally, Ashfield has a strong independent (technically party) which may similarly be skewing the model, but even if it’s not then they will take a good chunk of the Reform vote and prevent a Reform victory.

Edit - Reform are not winning 6/7 of these on only 12% of the vote, absolutely not.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2239 on: June 15, 2024, 02:32:57 PM »

I'm still not convinced that anyone other than YouGov has worked out how to do MRPs well. And I'm afraid that I'm particularly unconvinced by Survation's efforts.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2240 on: June 15, 2024, 02:42:01 PM »

That MRP is honestly weird and just looking through a few Northern seats it looks like Reform is taking sizable votes off of Labour. For instance, in Great Grimsby Labour is at 39%, the Tories at 29% and Reform at 23%, Labour received 33% of the vote there in 2019 and I am not inclined to believe that tons of Tory->Labour switchers jumped to Reform.
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #2241 on: June 15, 2024, 02:48:31 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2024, 03:13:46 PM by oldtimer »

The MRP seems… poorly tuned for local effects. Reform third in Boston and Skegness? Labour winning Epsom and Ewell? The Exmouth result is clearly the result of being lazy about accounting for Claire Wright’s campaign last time. Also seems to disregard by-election results entirely, which is obviously a mistake.

My list of likely Reform seats:

Clacton
Boston
Ashfield

Possible Reform seats:

Castle Point
South Holland
NE Cambridgeshire
NW Norfolk
Maldon
Louth
Basildon South
Sittingbourne
Barnsley South
Barnsley North
Bolsover
Rotherham
Mansfield
Rayleigh

Bellow that you get too many Midlands-Yorkshire seats to list, so if Reform get more than 17 it snowballs.

EDIT: I'm constantly adding seats to the list on the basis of Leave over 67% and a good UKIP 2015 presence (Bolsover added due to my suspicion that Skinner's local vote helped Labour's score).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2242 on: June 15, 2024, 02:49:59 PM »

Beyond some of the more obviously silly stuff, everything is always too flat.

Though oddly the opposite is somehow true of the Reform estimates, which are much less uniform than seems plausible based off everything we know. Peculiar, and suggests an error with the model.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2243 on: June 15, 2024, 02:54:10 PM »

Anyway, normal opinion polls for today are: Opinium Lab 40, Con 23, Ref 14, LDem 12, Green 7, SNP 2, ; Savanta Lab 46, Con 21, Ref 13, LDem 11, Green 5, SNP 2. Opinium, of course, is one of the firms that adjust and re-weight heavily, while Savanta is not (and can be wobbly). The overall picture remains familiar.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2244 on: June 15, 2024, 02:55:30 PM »

Seems like Reform's recent scandals have been the best news for the Tories the whole campaign?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2245 on: June 15, 2024, 03:00:08 PM »

Earlier I made a point about 'too many to things to go wrong at once' about the Tory losses - and Survation has all but one seat in Staffordshire going Labour, Tories losing all their seats in Norfolk (!) and Cornwall, all but two in Devon. Plus the anecdotal talk locally doesn't match up as being so bad for the Tories as what's been forecasted here. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2246 on: June 15, 2024, 03:03:27 PM »

I'm still not convinced that anyone other than YouGov has worked out how to do MRPs well. And I'm afraid that I'm particularly unconvinced by Survation's efforts.

Just look at the pattern of Labour vote increases on 2019. Or, rather, the curious lack of a pattern. For me, I'm not even a fan of the YouGov ones: we remember those occasions when they've suggested surprising seats to fall that really did, but tend to memory hole those occasions when equally striking projections were wrong. Though if we think of them as an updated alternative to simple UNS estimates, perhaps we might all be more charitable.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2247 on: June 15, 2024, 03:11:03 PM »

That MRP is honestly weird and just looking through a few Northern seats it looks like Reform is taking sizable votes off of Labour. For instance, in Great Grimsby Labour is at 39%, the Tories at 29% and Reform at 23%, Labour received 33% of the vote there in 2019 and I am not inclined to believe that tons of Tory->Labour switchers jumped to Reform.

I am not sure that is quite so implausible. Grimsby is very much the sort of traditionally WWC Labour areas which are analagous to places like Youngstown Ohio or West Virginia in the USA. And those were the epicenter of Trumpist gains in the US (despite being traditionally Democratic). I think we should perhaps expect some similarities between the sorts of demographic areas where Trump gained in the USA and the sort of areas where Reform will do well.

Great Grimsby was also 71.5% leave (with perhaps slightly different boundaries, which was the 10th highest leave percentage in the UK in 2016.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2248 on: June 15, 2024, 03:14:21 PM »

Beyond some of the more obviously silly stuff, everything is always too flat.

Though oddly the opposite is somehow true of the Reform estimates, which are much less uniform than seems plausible based off everything we know. Peculiar, and suggests an error with the model.

There are downloadable crosstabs here, so if there is a particular demographic that may be off and driving some of those trends, it may be detectable in that data.

https://www.bestforbritain.org/june_2024_mrp

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/b4b/pages/5841/attachments/original/1718474927/B4B_VI_MRP_20240614_%281%29.xlsx?1718474927
Steve from Lambeth
United Kingdom

« Reply #2249 on: June 15, 2024, 03:15:44 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2024, 03:29:53 PM by Steve from Lambeth »

The 7 Reform seats are :
Ashfield
Clacton
Exmouth and Exeter East
Great Yarmouth
Mid Leicestershire
North West Norfolk
South Suffolk
How is Reform winning Exmouth? Isn't that the same Exmouth which Claire Wright, not particularly well-known for being a populist firebrand, almost won in 2019? Can we please not get MRP polls where all the lines of questioning look like this?

Which of the following candidates standing in the Klondikeshire constituency do you intend to vote for in the July 4th General Election?

John Connor (Conservative)
Harry Potter (Labour)
Vito Corleone (Liberal Democrat)
Emma Bovary (Green Party)
Humbert Humbert (Reform UK)
Carrie Bradshaw (Workers' Party of Britain)
Homer Simpson (Independent)
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 124  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies