United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 09:09:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 108577 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3275 on: July 04, 2024, 02:16:36 PM »

Northern Ireland is, I think, the one part of the UK in which turnout figures can be seen throughout the day.

Does Britain not even do nationwide turnout reports? I guess its election administration is stuck in the early 19th century just like its constitutional structure.

The British seem to subscribe to the philosophy of less information being better, which has its own merits. (What do on-the-day turnout reports or partial results actually add other than drama, anyway?)

There is a legitimate public interest in timely updates on the state of democratic participation.

Why? What does it add? I agree publishing final turnout numbers is important, but that does happen here. In countries which do release turnout throughout the day, it mostly seems to enable dodgy analysis about whom the high/low turnout in X part of the country is supposedly benefitting — which could in fact be damaging for similar reasons to why it would be a terrible idea to release partial results throughout polling day.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3276 on: July 04, 2024, 02:23:26 PM »

Polling stations do not send regular updates on turnout to anyone, so there is no way of knowing for sure what turnout levels are anywhere. Local campaigns might be able to make a rough guess if they have good canvassing data and an active polling day ground game, but in the case of no party will that stich together well enough to form a national picture, and most won't actually have a clue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3277 on: July 04, 2024, 02:36:59 PM »

Northern Ireland is, I think, the one part of the UK in which turnout figures can be seen throughout the day.

Does Britain not even do nationwide turnout reports? I guess its election administration is stuck in the early 19th century just like its constitutional structure.

The British seem to subscribe to the philosophy of less information being better, which has its own merits. (What do on-the-day turnout reports or partial results actually add other than drama, anyway?)

There is a legitimate public interest in timely updates on the state of democratic participation.

Why? What does it add? I agree publishing final turnout numbers is important, but that does happen here. In countries which do release turnout throughout the day, it mostly seems to enable dodgy analysis about whom the high/low turnout in X part of the country is supposedly benefitting — which could in fact be damaging for similar reasons to why it would be a terrible idea to release partial results throughout polling day.

I have a hard time imagining that turnout updates could depress turnout. If anything, I'd wager it might help convince at least a few people on the fence to go out and vote. Just the fact that turnout numbers are the only real numbers the media are allowed to discuss throughout the day focuses the discussion on democratic participation rather than on petty political squabbles. The speculations on whom it benefits are usually marginal outside of political junkie circles.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3278 on: July 04, 2024, 02:42:53 PM »

My favorite part of polling day (before the exit poll).
Silly Brits

Atleast us Americans don't have to worry about being influenced by our media
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3279 on: July 04, 2024, 02:45:42 PM »

Another rule of thumb on election day is that turnout is never described as anything but 'brisk.'
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3280 on: July 04, 2024, 02:51:08 PM »

I have a hard time imagining that turnout updates could depress turnout. If anything, I'd wager it might help convince at least a few people on the fence to go out and vote. Just the fact that turnout numbers are the only real numbers the media are allowed to discuss throughout the day focuses the discussion on democratic participation rather than on petty political squabbles. The speculations on whom it benefits are usually marginal outside of political junkie circles.

Anyone who pays enough attention to politics to even read or be aware of updates on turnout on lection day is 100% certain to be a political junkie who votes come hell or high water. The people who are seriously at risk of not voting are people who barely even know than an election is happening.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #3281 on: July 04, 2024, 03:02:07 PM »

Sky News Live Youtube stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNlqaj7h2AA
Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3282 on: July 04, 2024, 03:05:01 PM »

We're in the last hour of voting.
Logical

« Reply #3283 on: July 04, 2024, 03:11:34 PM »

Election night thread
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=597296.0
See you there in 50 minutes.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3284 on: July 04, 2024, 03:16:07 PM »

Is BBC election coverage available outside the UK tonight? Or is Sky our best best?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3285 on: July 04, 2024, 03:17:43 PM »

I'm not sure if I'll be very active here later, but a general point for everyone: please be very careful with early rumours, many of which are quite baseless and inaccurate.
Logical

« Reply #3286 on: July 04, 2024, 03:20:27 PM »

Is BBC election coverage available outside the UK tonight? Or is Sky our best best?
BBC :
https://www.livehdtv.com/bbc-news/2/ (not geoblocked)
Sky :
https://www.youtube.com/live/yNlqaj7h2AA
ITV :
https://www.youtube.com/live/Xu9DdrBCopA
GB News :
https://www.youtube.com/live/A052pIEj8Ns (if you are a masochist who fancies seeing a meltdown)
the506
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3287 on: July 04, 2024, 03:20:38 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cn09xn9je7lt#player - here's a stream that's working now, but knowing the BBC they'll probably pull it just before 10 or something.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3288 on: July 04, 2024, 03:23:20 PM »

Anyone who pays enough attention to politics to even read or be aware of updates on turnout on lection day is 100% certain to be a political junkie who votes come hell or high water. The people who are seriously at risk of not voting are people who barely even know than an election is happening.

This is simply not true. In France and Italy (and I'd wager most of Europe) turnout updates are widely circulated by mass media, so plenty of normies are exposed to it whether they care about politics or not.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3289 on: July 04, 2024, 03:24:39 PM »

I'm not sure if I'll be very active here later, but a general point for everyone: please be very careful with early rumours, many of which are quite baseless and inaccurate.

So what your saying is we should totally believe the Daily Mail saying things are going much better for Conservatives than they thought it would be?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3290 on: July 04, 2024, 03:24:41 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cn09xn9je7lt#player - here's a stream that's working now, but knowing the BBC they'll probably pull it just before 10 or something.

In 2019 they had a official non-geoblocked stream, but it went up when programming started like 5-10 minutes before 10.
Logical

« Reply #3291 on: July 04, 2024, 03:24:50 PM »

And don't listen to Laura K. She has a very very awful understanding of psephology and spent the last few election nights repeating unfounded rumours.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3292 on: July 04, 2024, 03:25:55 PM »

Sky News have a CGI Larry the cat.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3293 on: July 04, 2024, 03:26:48 PM »

In 2019 they had a official non-geoblocked stream, but it went up when programming started like 5-10 minutes before 10.

Thank you!!! Please do share if it does.
Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3294 on: July 04, 2024, 03:28:23 PM »

From my Youtube algorithm
UK General Election 2024 at LSE
LSE

337 watching
LIVE

Is it just me or was I suddenly reminded of a certain character on Yes, Minister?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3295 on: July 04, 2024, 03:29:46 PM »

Watching election night in the UK always makes me marvel at two things:

1. After the exit poll is announced at 10pm - then there is like a 2 hour wait for there to be any actual results to analyse, meaning the anchors have to talk and talk and talk for over two hours and its all just idle speculation.

2. At 6am its still the SAME people anchoring the election coverage. how do they do it? Do the on-air personalities all do lines of cocaine together or take methamphetamines to stay awake?

Yes, and not just for election nights.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3296 on: July 04, 2024, 03:36:11 PM »

Expected Declaration Times (so extremely rough) for peculiar seats:

(here's a nice list for everything if you care about that)

Blyth & Ashington (aiming to be the first): 11:30

Basildon & Billericay (3 way with Reform): 12:15

Leicester East (Labour rebel and ethnic issues): 2:00

Holborn and St Pancras (Starmer, the press will show this one): 2:30

Rochdale (Galloway): 2:30

Aberdeen South (SNP Westminster leader's seat): 3:00

Belfast East (Alliance leader vs DUP leader): 3:00

Great Yarmouth (Potentially target #3 for Reform UK): 3:00

Islington North (Corbyn): 3:00

Ynys Mons (idiosyncratic PC target): 3:00

Bristol Central (Green Co-leader Target): 3:15

Kingston and Surbiton (Davey, press may show this one): 3:30

Godalming and Ash (Jeremy Hunt): 3:30

Portsmouth North (Mordaunt, aka potential Tory leader if she somehow holds on): 3:30

Birmingham Ladywood (targeted by Gaza Indie who previously ran for mayor): 4:00

Boston and Skegness (Tice target for Reform): 4:00

Clacton (Farage target for Reform): 4:00

Richmond and Northallerton (Sunak, press will show this one): 4:00

Waveny Valley (Green Co-leader Target): 4:00

Brighton Pavilion (One Green seat but no longer an incumbent): 4:15

Ashfield (crazy 3 or even 4 way): 4:30

Herefordshire North (become Green target #4 during campaign): 5:00

Norfolk South West (Truss seat targeted by Con-Indie Bagge): 5:30
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3297 on: July 04, 2024, 03:36:52 PM »

With less than 30 minutes to go, listening to Things Can Only Get Better to manifest my desired result.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3298 on: July 04, 2024, 03:37:28 PM »

Just the fact that turnout numbers are the only real numbers the media are allowed to discuss throughout the day focuses the discussion on democratic participation rather than on petty political squabbles.

Broadcasters here are not allowed to report on anything campaign-related while polls are open. Coverage therefore consists entirely of things like photos of dogs at polling stations, which I think you’d have to have a heart of stone to object to.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #3299 on: July 04, 2024, 03:39:21 PM »

And don't listen to Laura K. She has a very very awful understanding of psephology and spent the last few election nights repeating unfounded rumours.

She's just useless, end of.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies