Stanford Study Shows Enormous Difference Between Male and Female Brains, No Overlap At All
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 09:59:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Stanford Study Shows Enormous Difference Between Male and Female Brains, No Overlap At All
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stanford Study Shows Enormous Difference Between Male and Female Brains, No Overlap At All  (Read 719 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2024, 09:34:00 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2024, 09:53:39 PM by Alben Barkley »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sax-on-sex/202405/ai-finds-astonishing-malefemale-differences-in-human-brain

Now THIS is interesting. Especially in the context of the trans debate. Because you can use it to argue for either side. On the one hand, you can say that there are distinct and objective biological differences between male and female brains like there are distinct and objective biological differences between other parts of our bodies, and thus the claim of a male brain in a female body or vice versa is nonsensical as you can’t isolate and neatly separate the brain from biology or the rest of the body. Anecdotally I frankly suspect there is something to do this; there are a handful of “trans women” HOI4 players for example, but literally 0 biologically female players I have EVER encountered. Almost like maybe a war game that requires you to extensively strategize a nation’s goals in a war with an intense focus on things like logistics and supply in addition to weapons like tanks/planes/guns might be more naturally appealing to male brains than female brains, regardless of how people identify. Also even right here on Atlas, it sometimes seems like there might well be more active trans users than biologically female users, in a forum that is like 99% male.

On the other hand, however, if it could be proven that the cognitive activity of trans people consistently more closely aligns with that of the opposite biological sex than their own, despite everyone else neatly conforming to one of two very distinct profiles aligning with their biological sex, I would be the first to eat crow and concede that maybe there is more to the “Wrong brain in the wrong body” theory that I thought. Unfortunately however the researchers did not examine how trans or gender non-conforming people lined up specifically. Like the author, I hope they do a follow-up that does.

Of course there are some caveats: Lots of other studies have shown in the past that there are no consistent and significant differences between male and female brains (which is why this came as a surprise to me) and as usual when you have any one study (especially one in a field like psychology that has a replication crisis and is using new technology and is inconsistent with previous findings), you have to view it in the proper context and take it with a grain of salt. Still, it has potentially interesting implications.

Furthermore, anyone who would take this as an excuse to be sexist is the biggest moron on the face of the Earth. Just because two things might be different does not automatically make one better than the other. And if anything, quite frankly it’s women who are pulling ahead lately, and there has never been any finding suggesting the slightest difference in intelligence between men and women. What psychological differences between the two have been found are subjective in value, in that both may have merits and drawbacks in different situations. Furthermore, such differences are merely generalized averages; there is still more variation within than between sexes in most regards. Although I suppose this study may challenge that to some degree in some regards.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 10:06:43 PM »

So this study isn't an excuse to be sexist, however this study combined with your anecdotal experience while playing a video game is an excuse to be transphobic? Good to know
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 10:14:20 PM »

So this study isn't an excuse to be sexist, however this study combined with your anecdotal experience while playing a video game is an excuse to be transphobic? Good to know

I swear sometimes it feels like I’m talking to empty air. I try my best to explain my reasoning and thought processes in depth yet most of the time people just respond with completely nonsensical pithy strawmen completely mischaracterizing my views and arguments by selectively cherrypicking and distorting certain things I said and ignoring absolutely everything else. It’s exhausting.

To me, the question of why and how there are any differences — and to what degree such differences even exist biologically vs. are mere social constructs — between males and females has long been a subject that has fascinated me. There is naturally some overlap here with the trans debate as it speaks to the heart of the question of what exactly makes someone a man or a woman beyond the obvious biological factors.

I literally said in the post that I will be the first to eat crow and be more than open to the idea if it turns out that trans people’s brains genuinely can be proven to be more consistent with the opposite sex’s. If that is so it could well end the debate. Furthermore I have never at any point endorsed any sort of bigotry or “phobia” against anyone. Merely observing that even those males who now identify as female seem to be far more likely to engage in more stereotypically male pursuits (and I just gave one of many examples in HOI4 as well as this very forum) does not mean I am drawing definitive conclusions as to why that is the case; it could be as much a product of residual socialization as it is biology. And it certainly does not mean I am endorsing any sort of bigotry or hate or intolerance.

Again, seems like nuance is lost these days and critical thinking and curiosity are now frowned upon. I find it very sad.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 10:29:48 PM »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sax-on-sex/202405/ai-finds-astonishing-malefemale-differences-in-human-brain

Now THIS is interesting. Especially in the context of the trans debate. Because you can use it to argue for either side. On the one hand, you can say that there are distinct and objective biological differences between male and female brains like there are distinct and objective biological differences between other parts of our bodies, and thus the claim of a male brain in a female body or vice versa is nonsensical as you can’t isolate and neatly separate the brain from biology or the rest of the body. Anecdotally I frankly suspect there is something to do this; there are a handful of “trans women” HOI4 players for example, but literally 0 biologically female players I have EVER encountered. Almost like maybe a war game that requires you to extensively strategize a nation’s goals in a war with an intense focus on things like logistics and supply in addition to weapons like tanks/planes/guns might be more naturally appealing to male brains than female brains, regardless of how people identify. Also even right here on Atlas, it sometimes seems like there might well be more active trans users than biologically female users, in a forum that is like 99% male.

On the other hand, however, if it could be proven that the cognitive activity of trans people consistently more closely aligns with that of the opposite biological sex than their own, despite everyone else neatly conforming to one of two very distinct profiles aligning with their biological sex, I would be the first to eat crow and concede that maybe there is more to the “Wrong brain in the wrong body” theory that I thought. Unfortunately however the researchers did not examine how trans or gender non-conforming people lined up specifically. Like the author, I hope they do a follow-up that does.

Of course there are some caveats: Lots of other studies have shown in the past that there are no consistent and significant differences between male and female brains (which is why this came as a surprise to me) and as usual when you have any one study (especially one in a field like psychology that has a replication crisis and is using new technology and is inconsistent with previous findings), you have to view it in the proper context and take it with a grain of salt. Still, it has potentially interesting implications.

Furthermore, anyone who would take this as an excuse to be sexist is the biggest moron on the face of the Earth. Just because two things might be different does not automatically make one better than the other. And if anything, quite frankly it’s women who are pulling ahead lately, and there has never been any finding suggesting the slightest difference in intelligence between men and women. What psychological differences between the two have been found are subjective in value, in that both may have merits and drawbacks in different situations. Furthermore, such differences are merely generalized averages; there is still more variation within than between sexes in most regards. Although I suppose this study may challenge that to some degree in some regards.
I remember getting roasted in a few threads for suggesting that the primary reason why certain jobs (like pilots or CEOs) have a ~80/20 male/female split is because of small biological/neurological differences between men and women, rather than rampant sexism in these industries (obviously there are some cases even in the modern day of a qualified person being denied a job for sexist reasons, but this is a relatively rare phenomenon nowadays)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 10:32:32 PM »

I swear sometimes it feels like I’m talking to empty air. I try my best to explain my reasoning and thought processes in depth yet most of the time people just respond with completely nonsensical pithy strawmen completely mischaracterizing my views and arguments by selectively cherrypicking and distorting certain things I said and ignoring absolutely everything else. It’s exhausting.

To me, the question of why and how there are any differences — and to what degree such differences even exist biologically vs. are mere social constructs — between males and females has long been a subject that has fascinated me. There is naturally some overlap here with the trans debate as it speaks to the heart of the question of what exactly makes someone a man or a woman beyond the obvious biological factors.

I literally said in the post that I will be the first to eat crow and be more than open to the idea if it turns out that trans people’s brains genuinely can be proven to be more consistent with the opposite sex’s. If that is so it could well end the debate. Furthermore I have never at any point endorsed any sort of bigotry or “phobia” against anyone. Merely observing that even those males who now identify as female seem to be far more likely to engage in more stereotypically male pursuits (and I just gave one of many examples in HOI4 as well as this very forum) does not mean I am drawing definitive conclusions as to why that is the case; it could be as much a product of residual socialization as it is biology. And it certainly does not mean I am endorsing any sort of bigotry or hate or intolerance.

Again, seems like nuance is lost these days and critical thinking and curiosity are now frowned upon. I find it very sad.

Dude, you literally used scarce quotes to describe tans women. I am not engaging with you on this topic any further.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 11:06:16 PM »

Well i can speak about this because I am not just a random debater on trans issues but i do believe I am a woman in a man's body.  I will remain one, I don't think i will be able to take on a public social role as a woman anytime soon.

People that meet me can tell I am in the trans area somehow.  I don't walk around with a sign, but people know these things.

Everything is about the brain.  That's the person's entire soul in a sense.  Our bodies fall apart and we get old and withered, but I would imagine that our souls continue on.  But that's getting more into the spiritual area.

A gunshot to the brain kills you.  You can live without other things, but you cannot live without a brain.

Another way of looking at it is put yourself in the shoes of the trans person.

If all of the men on this forum were castrated and your genitals were changed, would that make you feel like a woman or behave like a totally different person?  You'd still have the same brain as you did before, and you'd continue living as a man.  Because you would have no desire whatsoever to be women.  That would have to come from the brain.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 11:26:26 PM »

We get it, you like the trans tab. Nobody judges you!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2024, 11:27:43 PM »

A lot of people on Twitter are saying there's just no way the study is correct.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 11:46:04 PM »

Ah, OK. “Many people are saying” on Twitter>controlled study conducted by experts at Stanford.

I’m not even fully joking by the way as it wouldn’t even surprise me given the track record of psychology in recent years since it has tried to pretend to be a hard science yet utterly failed to consistently replicate most of its most significant “findings” consistently. I honestly believe it was more valuable and accurate when left in the less falsifiable yet deeper realm of Jung/Freud who of course had their own ideas on human sexuality/gender which are hard to swallow for many today but often seem to be consistently and undeniably accurate in my experience.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 11:50:17 PM »

We get it, you like the trans tab. Nobody judges you!

My friend, if you only knew just how kinky my wife and I are. I have zero shame or doubt about my own sexuality. It does not have and never has had anything to do with my thoughts on this matter. It’s not like I have some deep shame about my own sexuality or believe in sone ultra-conservative idea that sex should be all about male on female reproduction in the missionary position as she lies back and does it for England. In fact it’s closer to the opposite, a total rejection of traditional stereotypical gender roles and thus the implication that “I like pink and dress therefore must be woman.” I am critical of such crude, rigid, stereotypical thinking whether it comes from the left or right, simple as that.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 11:58:46 PM »

Well i can speak about this because I am not just a random debater on trans issues but i do believe I am a woman in a man's body.  I will remain one, I don't think i will be able to take on a public social role as a woman anytime soon.

People that meet me can tell I am in the trans area somehow.  I don't walk around with a sign, but people know these things.

Everything is about the brain.  That's the person's entire soul in a sense.  Our bodies fall apart and we get old and withered, but I would imagine that our souls continue on.  But that's getting more into the spiritual area.

A gunshot to the brain kills you.  You can live without other things, but you cannot live without a brain.

If all of the men on this forum were castrated and your genitals were changed, would that make you feel like a woman or behave like a totally different person?  You'd still have the same brain as you did before, and you'd continue living as a man.  Because you would have no desire whatsoever to be women.  That would have to come from the brain.

The thing is though that the brain is intricately linked to the rest of the body. It’s impossible to totally separate them, just as it would be impossible to totally separate your pinky finger from the rest of your body. Sure you could cut it off, but that wouldn’t mean your body isn’t meant to have a pinky finger or that your pinky finger was not distinctly male rather than female. The brain may well be the most complex part of the human body but that does not mean it is immune from the same basic rules as every other body part and thus cannot be sexed like all others can. If you truly believe there is some quasi-“soul” aspect to it, then all power to you. Live your best life, call yourself what you want, be who you want to be, love who you want to love. I do not, have never, and never will oppose any of that and will fight to my own death to defend your right to live freely if it comes to that. But that is simply an entirely separate thing from the question of what exactly defines a man vs. a woman as far as I’m concerned, and I don’t understand why we have to shut down all inquiry and debate into that simply because the answers might be politically inconvenient. Especially when they could, if you truly believed that trans people in this same study would show up as having the opposite brain, actually validate you!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 12:03:37 AM »

Dude, you literally used scarce quotes to describe tans women. I am not engaging with you on this topic any further.

“Scare quotes?” Huh? Was me using quotation marks right there also “scare quotes?” What about now? Simply quoting what you or other people were saying does not mean I am trying to scare anybody. And if you took it in that particular context as skepticism that trans women even exist, that wasn’t the point. I was simply trying to say that’s how they particular people I was talking about identify, whether I personally think such an identification is likely accurate in all cases or not.

This is maybe the lamest non-argument and excuse to avoid actually engaging with my actual arguments I’ve seen yet.

Sad!
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2024, 12:18:23 AM »

Everything is about the brain.  That's the person's entire soul in a sense.  Our bodies fall apart and we get old and withered, but I would imagine that our souls continue on.  But that's getting more into the spiritual area.

The thing is though that the brain is intricately linked to the rest of the body. It’s impossible to totally separate them, just as it would be impossible to totally separate your pinky finger from the rest of your body. Sure you could cut it off, but that wouldn’t mean your body isn’t meant to have a pinky finger or that your pinky finger was not distinctly male rather than female. The brain may well be the most complex part of the human body but that does not mean it is immune from the same basic rules as every other body part and thus cannot be sexed like all others can. If you truly believe there is some quasi-“soul” aspect to it, then all power to you. Live your best life, call yourself what you want, be who you want to be, love who you want to love. I do not, have never, and never will oppose any of that and will fight to my own death to defend your right to live freely if it comes to that. But that is simply an entirely separate thing from the question of what exactly defines a man vs. a woman as far as I’m concerned, and I don’t understand why we have to shut down all inquiry and debate into that simply because the answers might be politically inconvenient. Especially when they could, if you truly believed that trans people in this same study would show up as having the opposite brain, actually validate you!

Oh I intend on challenging any anti-trans views.  And I'm more than reasonable, Mr. Barkley.  I've conceded to you previously that it's not right for someone like Lia Thomas to compete in adult women's swimming.

But when it comes to this issue, I am not going to shut up about it.  That is not me shutting down any inquiry and debate over it.  I'm extending the inquiry and debate.

We keep omitting from the debate babies that are born with no genitalia or both.  What are their sexes?  Are they sexless?  In the strict male - female binary, where do they fall?  If they're assigned a sex at birth, and that sex turns out to be not the one they want to live in, what is the reason for that?

When it comes to these issues, I can debate it all day and all night long.  I've got nearly 40 years of life experience to go by.  I do consider myself something of an expert.

It would be like having constant threads about debate over an illness and just dismissing the actual people that have that illness. 

The trans members of this forum have added weight to their testimonies on this subject.  It's our lives being affected every day here.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2024, 12:32:28 AM »

This is maybe the lamest non-argument and excuse to avoid actually engaging with my actual arguments I’ve seen yet.

Sad!

My apologies! I'll come up with a better one next time! Grin
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2024, 12:41:04 AM »

I think it’s pretty weird that you saw a study on gender brain differences and immediately went to atlas to make it a transgender debate.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 01:31:18 AM »

I remember getting roasted in a few threads for suggesting that the primary reason why certain jobs (like pilots or CEOs) have a ~80/20 male/female split is because of small biological/neurological differences between men and women, rather than rampant sexism in these industries (obviously there are some cases even in the modern day of a qualified person being denied a job for sexist reasons, but this is a relatively rare phenomenon nowadays)

Yeah, there's no justifiable reason to automatically assume that any differences in outcome between men and women are the result of discrimination without evidence as all the red avs were doing in that ridiculous airline pilot thread we had a while back. That goes for situations where women perform better too but of course I don't need to convince anyone of that.

Second and third wave feminism are dead in a ditch at this point between the attacks from trans activists (who most the left likes better than them) and our growing understanding of the brain continuing to reveal gender differences, not the first time I've seen something like this.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2024, 02:02:36 AM »

Growing up as a trans girl(especially when you don't realize that's what your discomfort with parts of your body is about) is as different from growing up as a cis women as it is from growing up as a cis man. What we grew up around, what other people assumed about us, what people encouraged us to go into(women were rarely encouraged to go into science until recently), how welcoming certain spaces are for us, and whether we develop a high tolerance for the off-putting parts of male-dominated spaces like atlas.

Also its pretty incredible that you went from arguing that "gender ideology is bad because it reinforces gender roles" to claiming trans women's brains are inherently male because of brain scans and personal impressions about the playerbase of a semi-obscure time abyss WWII game.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2024, 02:18:37 AM »

Yeah, there's no justifiable reason to automatically assume that any differences in outcome between men and women are the result of discrimination without evidence as all the red avs were doing in that ridiculous airline pilot thread we had a while back. That goes for situations where women perform better too but of course I don't need to convince anyone of that.

Second and third wave feminism are dead in a ditch at this point between the attacks from trans activists (who most the left likes better than them) and our growing understanding of the brain continuing to reveal gender differences, not the first time I've seen something like this.
Or maybe "red avs" understand the fact that half the studies on the existence of the brain sex differences that would be necessary for natural differences find no evidence of brain sex differences while gendered expectations skewing the makeup of various fields is so blatantly true that asserting it can't be an explanation for a particular case is, like asserting that "trans activists" are killing third wave feminism, a good way to announce that you're full of it.

A good example of how stupid these "its biology" arguments are is the fact that computer science was dominated by women for most of its existence and only became male dominated when it became both very lucrative and much easier.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2024, 05:37:35 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2024, 05:41:58 AM by LostFellow »

I may or may not spend the time to read the whole study later, but from a cursory glance it might be worth noting:
  • The "HCP Cohort" may have been deliberately selected by the authors to demonstrated a clean looking difference.
  • T-SNE plots are not true metric plots, that is the distances visualized are not true distances between the higher-dimensional features. T-SNE maps adjacent/similar points to adjacent/similar 2D points here, but distances farther than direct adjacency are meaningless. This is not to say that the two clusters are not separable in some way, but an open secret with T-SNE is that you generally change the settings over and over until you get the best possible looking clusters. (The UMAP technique is generally preferred these days because it preserves global distances to an extent, but it takes time for more modern statistical methods to filter to other sciences.)
  • From my understanding, the AI model here trained for differentiating male and female brains (which also generates the embeddings) has an accuracy around 90% for all the cohorts. Which means the model cannot classify into M/F a good 10% of the MRI signals.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024, 09:43:06 AM »

Alben thinks about trans people more than trans people do.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2024, 02:42:12 PM »

I find it ironic how this person identifies as both bisexual and non-binary
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2024, 11:37:37 PM »

To me at least it's not ironic, it just means that they're attracted to both sexes even if they don't identify as such.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2024, 11:44:55 PM »

In fact it’s closer to the opposite, a total rejection of traditional stereotypical gender roles and thus the implication that “I like pink and dress therefore must be woman.” I am critical of such crude, rigid, stereotypical thinking whether it comes from the left or right, simple as that.
Jesus, I didn't see this when I made my first post. If you really rejected stereotypical gender roles you wouldn't use trans women playing Paradox games more than cis women as evidence that our brains are innately male.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2024, 12:08:51 AM »

To me at least it's not ironic, it just means that they're attracted to both sexes even if they don't identify as such.
Would they not be attracted to other non-binary people?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2024, 12:24:47 AM »

Anecdotally I frankly suspect there is something to do this; there are a handful of “trans women” HOI4 players for example, but literally 0 biologically female players I have EVER encountered. Almost like maybe a war game that requires you to extensively strategize a nation’s goals in a war with an intense focus on things like logistics and supply in addition to weapons like tanks/planes/guns might be more naturally appealing to male brains than female brains, regardless of how people identify. Also even right here on Atlas, it sometimes seems like there might well be more active trans users than biologically female users, in a forum that is like 99% male.

I think cis women don´t like much ultra nerdy things or prefer to keep silent on them just in case...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies