Opinion of James Monroe (poster)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 11:19:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of James Monroe (poster)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of James Monroe (poster)
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Opinion of James Monroe (poster)  (Read 1110 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2024, 12:37:40 PM »

For what it is worth, I dislike polls about posters, particularly problematical posters. It is humiliating. I understand it is a long standing Atlas tradition and I have no potential power to ban it, other than perhaps lobbying Virginia.

I think the current policy is fair: the subject of the poll has the final word as to whether it stays or gets deleted.

But yes, it is remarkable that approval polls about posters have always been allowed, when you think about it. Most online forums would never tolerate them, but Atlas is a unique place.

It's also remarkable that at least 50% of them are made by one poster who claims to be a devout Christian, and yet who has turned casting the first stone into a compulsion.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2024, 03:11:39 PM »

Haven't seen any of his recent work, but if even 10% of his extra-partisan babble is not trolling, he's genuinely one of the more demented actual human beings here.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2024, 03:46:14 PM »

For what it is worth, I dislike polls about posters, particularly problematical posters. It is humiliating. I understand it is a long standing Atlas tradition and I have no potential power to ban it, other than perhaps lobbying Virginia.
Dissenting opinion, but personally I think that they can be helpful and constructive if it's done right. Obviously if one is made to harass and/or duke on a particular poster that shouldn't be allowed, but in certain situations it could be enlightening if a poster isn't aware of how his/her actions impact other posters or uplifting if people say good things about them.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2024, 05:04:36 PM »

Unfunny troll
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2024, 12:10:09 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2024, 12:13:41 AM by Frodo »

I think the current policy is fair: the subject of the poll has the final word as to whether it stays or gets deleted.

Really?  I did not know that.  I am sure many of us who have been subjects of these polls would have liked to have known that too.  

But yes, it is remarkable that approval polls about posters have always been allowed, when you think about it. Most online forums would never tolerate them, but Atlas is a unique place.

I never liked them personally myself, for it can easily become a form of bullying which on many occasions it has.  
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2024, 07:09:09 PM »

I don't mind the polls.  They give me a sense of where I stand with the Forum.

I gave him an FF because he was willing to give deserved pushback for people who attacked him by suggesting he had mental health issues because he came back with a somewhat reinvented persona.  He explained it and it's a coherent explanation; people do come to massive shifts in their political outlook due to events. and due to the fact that political parties change over time, and that change can be fairly quick.

Attacking people by suggesting they have a mental health diagnosis that (A) they have no credentials to diagnose, and (B) often have no basis is something that should be addressed by the mods, far more than looking for Excessive Hyperbole in posters they disagree with.  If a poster is going through a rough spot there are ways to handle this without openly posting, and there are,  I'm sure, posters that may have a serious condition that are decompensating, and it shows in their posting.  If I'm worried about someone, I'll deal with this very privately.  I'll leave it at that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2024, 10:10:39 AM »

I gave him an FF because he was willing to give deserved pushback for people who attacked him by suggesting he had mental health issues because he came back with a somewhat reinvented persona.  He explained it and it's a coherent explanation; people do come to massive shifts in their political outlook due to events. and due to the fact that political parties change over time, and that change can be fairly quick.

Attacking people by suggesting they have a mental health diagnosis that (A) they have no credentials to diagnose, and (B) often have no basis is something that should be addressed by the mods, far more than looking for Excessive Hyperbole in posters they disagree with.  If a poster is going through a rough spot there are ways to handle this without openly posting, and there are,  I'm sure, posters that may have a serious condition that are decompensating, and it shows in their posting.  If I'm worried about someone, I'll deal with this very privately.  I'll leave it at that.

This poster is a 9/11 truther and actively supports Russian genocide of Ukrainian civilians, but that's ok because he pushes back against mental health stigma. So important.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »

Letting mentally ill people have ongoing public meltdowns on the internet is an incredibly cruel thing to do. I'd argue that enabling is even worse than bullying. That Brazilian guy told the internet that he loves Saddam Hussein and wants to torture people, and that comment is out there forever now, no matter how obscure this website is.
Freshly-touched grass
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2024, 11:18:54 AM »

This forum is literally where Update culture started with Bushie, and to this day that nonsense continues off-site well over a decade later. I'm not surprised that there's support for this kind of thing, including from the same people who have been insisting for months now that Biden has dementia, but that doesn't make it right.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2024, 03:04:01 PM »

This forum is literally where Update culture started with Bushie, and to this day that nonsense continues off-site well over a decade later. I'm not surprised that there's support for this kind of thing, including from the same people who have been insisting for months now that Biden has dementia, but that doesn't make it right.
The thing about Update is that Bushie was kind of the main driver for it because all things considered he still enjoyed the attention. That doesn't make it right of course but really Bushie could've just shut up with the oversharing both here and Facebook and ended it there if he actually wanted to.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2024, 09:37:45 AM »

Uncreative and low-effort troll.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2024, 06:15:47 PM »

Why has this guy become such a hot topic over the past few weeks?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2024, 10:38:32 PM »

This poster is a 9/11 truther and actively supports Russian genocide of Ukrainian civilians, but that's ok because he pushes back against mental health stigma. So important.

Whatever one thinks about views (and I am skeptical that what he supports in Ukraine is "genocide"), that is different from posting the view that another poster has a chronic mental illness.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2024, 12:51:00 AM »

Whatever one thinks about views (and I am skeptical that what he supports in Ukraine is "genocide"), that is different from posting the view that another poster has a chronic mental illness.

He's simply giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: Today at 11:17:40 AM »

He's simply giving him the benefit of the doubt.
This. Honestly Dule saying James has mental issues actually makes him out better because the alternative is James being an objectively evil piece of sh*t
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies