Which G7 country has the brightest future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 01:33:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which G7 country has the brightest future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question:
USA

Canada

France

Italy

United Kingdom

Germany

Japan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Which G7 country has the brightest future?  (Read 396 times)
pikachu
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2024, 05:11:56 PM »

Whatever you feel ‘brightest’ means - they all seem to have bad vibes rn.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 05:31:31 PM »

France has the highest fertility rate in the EU or of any of these countries so I’ll go with them. The French f—k and that’s served them well for a long long time.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 05:39:27 PM »

the US by far despite our political system being broken.

I want to remind everyone that from 1836-1896 , the vast majority of presidents we had were failures and despite that we went from an agrarian backwater to the world's largest economy. We had a gridlocked government for the vast majority of this period and insane polarization but we became a great nation despite that because it's the people that make a country great and not the politicians.

We still have the most innovative people on the planet and our economy has a far brighter future than any of these nations so I am going with the US by a mile
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 06:22:53 PM »

I want to remind everyone that from 1836-1896 , the vast majority of presidents we had were failures and despite that we went from an agrarian backwater to the world's largest economy. We had a gridlocked government for the vast majority of this period and insane polarization but we became a great nation despite that because it's the people that make a country great and not the politicians.

We still have the most innovative people on the planet and our economy has a far brighter future than any of these nations so I am going with the US by a mile

French economy is looking up too, including in key sectors like technology/AI.

America was still expanding during that period and the world was simply different. The presidency was generally less powerful than Congress. Furthermore we didn’t really start to become a superpower until WW1 or solidify our status as THE superpower until WW2. Largely because we simply weren’t devastated by those wars in terms of population or resources like the European powers were. The world is simply different now. There likely won’t be such massive conventional wars again any time soon yet that is what the US is built to excel at. We got so damn good at it that it became obsolete, but we weren’t prepared to adapt to the brave new world of things like information warfare the way our adversaries such as Russia and China have been. That’s how 2016 happened in the first place and man did it work like a charm. We also have expanded the power of the presidency so now terrible presidents can do more damage, and this time it won’t just tear our country apart but impact our allies who have relied on us since WW2 and the entire world. And Trump just wants to make it worse if Project 2025 is to be believed.

The best hope of liberal democracy in the future likely relies on the EU coming together and becoming a power in its own right, led by France and Germany. Of course now that is under threat as well. It’s bleak, not gonna lie. But when in doubt, look to those who f—k and that’s why I said France. Japan is all virgins, the country won’t exist in a few decades so we might as well have just nuked it all in 1945. And the UK committed sepukku with Brexit, definitely won’t be any rebirth of the British Empire. Canada is too busy coldly murdering its own mentally troubled youth and is just little brother of both the US and UK anyway. As for Italy? Stick to the pasta, folks. You’ve always been the comic relief of the world powers.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 06:45:04 PM »

French economy is looking up too, including in key sectors like technology/AI.

America was still expanding during that period and the world was simply different. The presidency was generally less powerful than Congress. Furthermore we didn’t really start to become a superpower until WW1 or solidify our status as THE superpower until WW2. Largely because we simply weren’t devastated by those wars in terms of population or resources like the European powers were. The world is simply different now. There likely won’t be such massive conventional wars again any time soon yet that is what the US is built to excel at. We got so damn good at it that it became obsolete, but we weren’t prepared to adapt to the brave new world of things like information warfare the way our adversaries such as Russia and China have been. That’s how 2016 happened in the first place and man did it work like a charm. We also have expanded the power of the presidency so now terrible presidents can do more damage, and this time it won’t just tear our country apart but impact our allies who have relied on us since WW2 and the entire world. And Trump just wants to make it worse if Project 2025 is to be believed.

The best hope of liberal democracy in the future likely relies on the EU coming together and becoming a power in its own right, led by France and Germany. Of course now that is under threat as well. It’s bleak, not gonna lie. But when in doubt, look to those who f—k and that’s why I said France. Japan is all virgins, the country won’t exist in a few decades so we might as well have just nuked it all in 1945. And the UK committed sepukku with Brexit, definitely won’t be any rebirth of the British Empire. Canada is too busy coldly murdering its own mentally troubled youth and is just little brother of both the US and UK anyway. As for Italy? Stick to the pasta, folks. You’ve always been the comic relief of the world powers.

Trusting France/Germany though is also suspect given both nations history over the past 25 or so years. Like:

- Both nations demonized us during the War on Terror

- Both nations have tried to undermine sanctions we have placed on Iran

- Germany completely enabled Russia until 2022, and France did to a lesser extent

- Both nations have sided with the ICC against Israel and really have refused to stand with Israel in this current conflict

- Both nations are extremely hesitant to join the trade war against China

Much of this stuff was done by the current establishment of both nations so I can't see either nation leading anything.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 07:07:51 PM »

I'll go with Canada. They have most of the US' strengths without insane politics. The European powers are too close to the war in Ukraine.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 07:23:24 PM »

Things can't possibly get worse in the UK.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 08:50:40 PM »

Canada, with Germany in a close second.

Can't be the U.S. or UK, the key to saving those two would be President Sanders and Prime Minister Bailey-Long, alas, we have President Biden and Prime Minister Starmer, and they're just stopgaps.

France, Italy, and Japan are just in a rut no matter what now it seems.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2024, 08:56:15 PM »

The US. How is this even a question? The US is more successful than the rest of the G7 combined and is the center of global power, whereas the others are just midgets that revolve around the leader. There is more to a country's prospects than politics and who's leading the presidential horserace or what's happening in Washington D.C.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 09:53:11 PM »

The USA obviously, as always!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2024, 01:08:24 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2024, 12:55:22 PM by lfromnj »

US seems to be leading in new technologies, has a relatively high fertility rate , and gets the best quality immigrants .

Only other answer is Germany who are the only guys deserving of democracy as they support austerity at some times at least .
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2024, 07:43:44 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2024, 09:13:40 AM by 🦀🎂🦀🎂 »

Honestly, possibly canada. High growth, strong magnet for high skilled immigration, lacks some of the more weird problems endemic to the US (less violent, lacks the legacy of segregation), has a political system and culture that allows swift change of unpopular politicians, has largely ended most of the constitutional rancor around quebec etc.

All the European states are in too much of an identity crisis, with neither its establishment blobs nor its insurgents in much of a position to help. Insanely you could make the case that britain may be in a better spot than the continent, who still are locked in the crippling straitjacket of the eurozone.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2024, 08:22:32 AM »

Clearly the United States, although I think Italy is slightly warmer. Does climate change meaningfully affect sunshine exposure? Voted for my country anyway on the basis that I can assign whatever meaning I feel to "brightest".
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2024, 09:37:48 AM »

None of them are that great but clearly USA would be the best of this bunch.  There is a chance that there will be a crisis in Japan that could turn it into a complete turnaround and revival.  I am just not counting on it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2024, 09:41:38 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2024, 09:45:41 AM by Alcibiades »

Honestly, possibly canada. High growth, strong magnet for high skilled immigration, lacks some of the more weird problems endemic to the US (less violent, lacks the legacy of segregation), has a political system and culture that allows swift change of unpopular politicians, has largely ended most of the constitutional rancor around quebec etc.

I actually think many of the issues facing Canada are eerily similar to those facing the UK — stagnant productivity, a housing crisis, and a recent surge in immigration, particularly from the Indian subcontinent (not that I think the latter is a bad thing at least in the case of the UK — but many people do, which to an extent makes it a political problem regardless of your view). The main difference is that in the UK, we’re about to get a new government which has shown some promising signs of willingness to tackle at least some of these problems, whereas in Canada none of the main parties seems to be particularly interested in solving them.
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2024, 10:18:01 AM »

The US is the only G7 country with strong and consistent economic growth (the rest are experiencing some degree of productivity decline/wage stagnation), so I'd go with the US, but hesitantly so, because the level of social and cultural tension in the US will be an obstacle to reaching its full potential.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2024, 10:41:10 AM »

Do people not realize the brain drain Canada gets ? It may receive a couple of fast food workers but then lose its engineers or software workers to the US.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2024, 12:30:34 PM »

In order

1 Germany
2 USA
3 Canada
4 France
5 Japan
6 UK
7 Italy

Despite the recent bad situation of the German economy, due to the loss of the Russian gas, Germany was the best performing economy in the developed world between the 2008 international financial crisis and the Russian invasion to Ukraine.
Most of the world's manufacturing is moving to Asia, but Germany remained one of the few western manufacuring powers.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2024, 03:05:23 PM »

The U.S.(and Canada to a lesser extent) has an obvious advantage over the others. Japan has a bleak future in particular.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2024, 03:23:51 PM »

There’s no future in Europe.

And Japan has an even bigger demographic issue.

The answer could be USA if they can control their self-destructive feelings. But I voted Canada for now, as it seems the most stable to me. It’s also a country that can absorb immigrants much better than US.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2024, 04:02:09 PM »

Honestly...

the usa probably.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2024, 04:15:48 PM »

More interesting would be to say which of the developing countries have the brightest future.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2024, 04:28:25 PM »

After today, certainly not the USA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies