United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:37:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 108328 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3200 on: July 04, 2024, 02:02:23 AM »
« edited: July 04, 2024, 02:14:28 AM by Torrain »

Credit to Shipman - he’s self-aware. Mad how far we’ve come in three years - and how far some have fallen.

MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3201 on: July 04, 2024, 02:03:09 AM »

It's Election Day at last, been nervously awaiting this for the last two years but it seems like it'll be a good day
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3202 on: July 04, 2024, 02:05:57 AM »

Dawn of the final day: (possibly) my last canvassing update

I spent one more week in the constituency I’ve been canvassing for most of the campaign, then moved to a completely different area.

In the first, I ended the period not having met a single person who was willing to say outright that they were voting Conservative (though I did meet some fairly obvious Conservative voters, I think this is notable in itself). The LDs will easily flip this seat and have almost certainly over-targeted it (deliberately, IMO. More to reveal after e-day!).

In the second - a formerly Eurosceptic area - I met a few openly Tory/Reform voters. The contrast made me a little nervous at first, but I’ve learnt just the electorate is (mostly) just more forthright here. This seat (and others) deserved more resources from the national party, but I still expect a relatively comfortable flip. I’ll be doing some polling day work there tomorrow and will try to keep you posted.

South Cambs and Ely & East respectively?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3203 on: July 04, 2024, 02:10:30 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2024, 02:14:17 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Dawn of the final day: (possibly) my last canvassing update

I spent one more week in the constituency I’ve been canvassing for most of the campaign, then moved to a completely different area.

In the first, I ended the period not having met a single person who was willing to say outright that they were voting Conservative (though I did meet some fairly obvious Conservative voters, I think this is notable in itself). The LDs will easily flip this seat and have almost certainly over-targeted it (deliberately, IMO. More to reveal after e-day!).

In the second - a formerly Eurosceptic area - I met a few openly Tory/Reform voters. The contrast made me a little nervous at first, but I’ve learnt just the electorate is (mostly) just more forthright here. This seat (and others) deserved more resources from the national party, but I still expect a relatively comfortable flip. I’ll be doing some polling day work there tomorrow and will try to keep you posted.

South Cambs and Ely & East respectively?

First seat is in Cambridgeshire, second is in the South West.

Labour have stepped back a bit in all three of the constituencies around Cambridge city - activists who put a South Cambs/Ely/St Neots postcode into the Labour site are told to go to Peterborough. That means there should be more than one opening in this region, which is reflected in the MRP but may well be (partially) wasted.

Won’t specify more than this til polls close. Tongue
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3204 on: July 04, 2024, 02:21:30 AM »

Just voted.

Surprisingly brisk for 8.00 am.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3205 on: July 04, 2024, 02:30:41 AM »

Labour have stepped back a bit in all three of the constituencies around Cambridge city - activists who put a South Cambs/Ely/St Neots postcode into the Labour site are told to go to Peterborough. That means there should be more than one opening in this region, which is reflected in the MRP but may well be (partially) wasted.

A question for another day (possibly another month/year), but I’m curious whether there’s any jumpiness within local Labour circles over whether a Lib Dem breakthrough across Cambridgeshire makes the city itself more vulnerable for the next cycle.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3206 on: July 04, 2024, 02:36:03 AM »

Endorsement wise it’s telling how strong the Arts are for labour considering everything; clearly a sign of how the sector has been treated!
People in the creative sector, as a rule, are left-wing on average.

Use to be a relatively right wing profession- at least actors!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3207 on: July 04, 2024, 02:58:00 AM »

Complete shambles at my polling station, as there were two polling stations in one and they mixed up all of the voters into the wrong queues.
Woke Frenzy
Hades
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

« Reply #3208 on: July 04, 2024, 03:37:05 AM »

When do the polls close?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3209 on: July 04, 2024, 03:44:40 AM »

The final Ipsos poll is out and it is a curious one: Lab 37, Con 18, Ref 15, LDem 11, Greens 9, SNP 6
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3210 on: July 04, 2024, 04:06:36 AM »

The final Ipsos poll is out and it is a curious one: Lab 37, Con 18, Ref 15, LDem 11, Greens 9, SNP 6

The SNP subsample being whack enough that it's taken 2 or 3 points off the Labour share

Still. Herding. Poll herding. MRP herding. Suggestions of Labour sub 40, possibly by a few points.

A 2005 redux with Labour getting a whomping majority on 36% would be funny. But also indicative of Labour having to work hard for a second term.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3211 on: July 04, 2024, 04:08:55 AM »

The Greens on 9% would be more than what the Lib Dems got in 2015 and 2017...
Logical

« Reply #3212 on: July 04, 2024, 04:13:44 AM »

First time I've entered the polling booth undecided.
I wish we could elect the PM separately to MPs this time.
Liberal Democrats Winning Here!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3213 on: July 04, 2024, 04:23:08 AM »

The SNP subsample being whack enough that it's taken 2 or 3 points off the Labour share

Still. Herding. Poll herding. MRP herding. Suggestions of Labour sub 40, possibly by a few points.

A 2005 redux with Labour getting a whomping majority on 36% would be funny. But also indicative of Labour having to work hard for a second term.

It would be funny after all this the LAB vote share ends up below 2017.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3214 on: July 04, 2024, 04:25:59 AM »

I know Ipsos is typically… bullish about the SNP (I remember them putting them 10% ahead of Labour, when all the other post-Sturgeon arrest polls were showing the gap closing). But “they’re going to win 60% of the Scottish vote” is taking the biscuit.
Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3215 on: July 04, 2024, 04:33:09 AM »

It would be funny after all this the LAB vote share ends up below 2017.
That would be funny.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3216 on: July 04, 2024, 04:35:01 AM »

Ipsos can be quite bouncy, but their Green and SNP figures do look high.
Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3217 on: July 04, 2024, 04:37:10 AM »

Dallas and Chicago are 6 hours behind of London in UTC.
Portland and LA are 8.
Polls close at 10:00 p.m. BST. (British Standard Time I assume?)
Since I assume UK doesn't do daylight savings you can add one hour to these numbers in most of the US.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3218 on: July 04, 2024, 04:42:30 AM »

Speaking personally, my OCD tendencies have a habit of playing up during times like this. This might explain why I have various rituals. One of them is to watch Cruel Intentions (1999) on the night prior to the election, which I did indeed do last night. I have various further ones today, none of which are quite as random (well possibly).
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3219 on: July 04, 2024, 04:55:38 AM »

I know Ipsos is typically… bullish about the SNP (I remember them putting them 10% ahead of Labour, when all the other post-Sturgeon arrest polls were showing the gap closing). But “they’re going to win 60% of the Scottish vote” is taking the biscuit.

It was a very small sample and it does seem like it's been hard to get response rates in Scotland.

Surprised we got no further Scottish polls, particularly no second polls from IPSOS and Opinium given they were the most bullish for the SNP at the start of the campaign. But again that might be due to the 'weans being off' and the start of the holidays.

If there has been a campaign shift from Labour and a very late shift (if) from Labour since the weekend and one fairly uniform across demographics; regions, age, class, Brexit recall etc (hat tip Dylan Difford) it would be unusual for Labour alone in Scotland, again cutting across these same demographics to be immune. Possible, but still curious enough to be something that could be missed because there were no late polls.

The polls have gotten slightly better for the SNP but the MRPs slightly worse. So a bit of a divergence here too. Still Survation with an implied 11 point Labour lead (now 6 points in todays update )and YouGov with an implied 1 point Labour lead give brutally similar outcomes.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3220 on: July 04, 2024, 04:56:40 AM »

Portland and LA are 8.
Since I assume UK doesn't do daylight savings you can add one hour to these numbers in most of the US.

BST = British Summer Time - one hour ahead of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), our standard timezone.

We've been doing daylight savings since 1916.
afleitch
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3221 on: July 04, 2024, 05:06:17 AM »

When you're on twitter trying to catch up on the latest analysis and all your favourites are in the Exit Poll Bunker.

Remembering of course that Sir David Butler is no longer with us.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3222 on: July 04, 2024, 05:23:48 AM »

This has always been the practice - up until the early 1980s Commonwealth citizens were formally classed as British citizens. A lot of the factors underlying the Windrush scandal relate to the historically very fuzzy nationality boundary.

Irish citizens also have the franchise. Partially this is for the same reasons as Commonwealth citizens, and partially it's because a substantial portion of NI's population hold Irish but not British passports.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3223 on: July 04, 2024, 05:25:26 AM »

A question for another day (possibly another month/year), but I’m curious whether there’s any jumpiness within local Labour circles over whether a Lib Dem breakthrough across Cambridgeshire makes the city itself more vulnerable for the next cycle.

There's always jumpiness, but at the moment my sense is that there's more worry about the Greens starting to cannibalise the LD vote and being more able to challenge for left-wing voters than the LDs have been able to post-coalition.
Woke Frenzy
Hades
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

« Reply #3224 on: July 04, 2024, 05:53:08 AM »

Portland and LA are 8.

BST = British Summer Time - one hour ahead of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), our standard timezone.

We've been doing daylight savings since 1916.

So, 10 o'clock pm in the UK 🇬🇧 ➡ 11 o'clock pm on the Continent 🇪🇺

And is it correct that the announcement of the results is handled differently in the UK than in other countries? I.e. the interim results won't keep getting tallied up (like in the US) or projected (like in Germany), only the final tally will be published instead. Right?
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies