Generation Z
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 10:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Generation Z
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Generation Z  (Read 3437 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »

I think we can exaggerate the influence of both movements. The vast majority of Americans of all generations are not interested in politics enough to define as either alt right or SJW or whatever.

What about all those memes? Surely they must have significant political influence over the younger generations given that for may of them memes might be their only source of political information besides their family/schooling. 

And it seems like the extremists have a monopoly on memes. That can't be good.

What do you mean by "extremists" here?
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »

I think we can exaggerate the influence of both movements. The vast majority of Americans of all generations are not interested in politics enough to define as either alt right or SJW or whatever.

What about all those memes? Surely they must have significant political influence over the younger generations given that for may of them memes might be their only source of political information besides their family/schooling. 

What do you mean by "extremists" here?

Far left and far right. Particularly the culture warriors on either side.
James Monroe

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »

I expect the gender gap to get bigger, if my Facebook feed is any indication.

Men are becoming more like the President Elect? Very sad.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »

I'm not saying that individual men are getting more conservative, Republican, or pro-Trump, just that the gap is wider among younger people. It's anecdotal of course so it's hard to get more specific than that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 04:43:52 AM »

I'm not saying that individual men are getting more conservative, Republican, or pro-Trump, just that the gap is wider among younger people. It's anecdotal of course so it's hard to get more specific than that.

That's what happens when Playboy is replaced by 4chan for "cheap and legitimate relief".
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »

I can second that. The crazy sandernistas on the left and the crazy trumpists on the right. Both are awful, and memes are most of this generation's source for politics. The crazy ones, specifically.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »

That's what happens when Playboy is replaced by 4chan for "cheap and legitimate relief".

I think the trend is stronger among women though, which is why overall young people are getting more Democratic.

I think it does have to do with cyberbalkanization; people who spend a lot of time on the Internet end up in bubbles that are largely dominated by people of their own gender.

The UK exit polls from 2015 do seem to show a widening gender gap among younger people, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 02:58:42 PM »

I think the trend is stronger among women though, which is why overall young people are getting more Democratic.

I think it does have to do with cyberbalkanization; people who spend a lot of time on the Internet end up in bubbles that are largely dominated by people of their own gender.

The UK exit polls from 2015 do seem to show a widening gender gap among younger people, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Is this why there is a general decline in adolescent risk taking behavior? People are online or think girls are yucky?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »

I don't see much of a relationship between avoiding risks and political ideology. The study says kids are less likely to do drugs or have sex, but that doesn't mean a political change. It could be a social change caused by the rise of the internet and video games. Besides conservatives often say it's a bad thing kids are too coddled/risk averse, but this article seems to think it's a good thing. Which is it?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »

I don't see much of a relationship between avoiding risks and political ideology. The study says kids are less likely to do drugs or have sex, but that doesn't mean a political change. It could be a social change caused by the rise of the internet and video games. Besides conservatives often say it's a bad thing kids are too coddled/risk averse, but this article seems to think it's a good thing. Which is it?

I already debunked the study linked in the OP.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2016, 06:30:16 PM by Spicy Purrito »

There is another study on polling report that says 13s, 15s, and 17s are doing less "bad" things as well. It seems that risk taking behavior could be rare in adolescents by the middish of this century if the pendulum doesn't swing back.

It could be for tons of reasons though. Mom wouldn't let me drive in HS. Only got to second base during high school. Had to wait for first semester of College and it almost didn't happen. They thought I wasn't ready for University, so I went to the Jr College down the road for my 1st semester. Had to really push to go to University lest I waited a full year. Was neither popular nor unpopular in HS was very unpopular in Jr College. I was "troubled", so they coddled me. My younger brothers pretty much did what they wanted, drove and got laid at 16. They didn't even party that much in HS or in undergrad. They smoked  a good deal, though. I did too until met someone who was moderately attractive and  had an above average job who straightened me out. She even had work done for me but then she got depressed, gained a lot of weight, and threw me out when it looked like we would have to be open to relocate for me to find work. I've been only been a social drinker and strictly alcohol since  then.

Someone should draw conclusions about the youth from this.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:48 PM »

There is another study on polling report that says 13s, 15s, and 17s are doing less "bad" things as well. It seems that risk taking behavior could be rare in adolescents by the middish of this century if the pendulum doesn't swing back.

It could be for tons of reasons though. Mom wouldn't let me drive in HS. Only got to second base during high school. Had to wait for first semester of College and it almost didn't happen. They thought I wasn't ready for University, so I went to the Jr College down the road for my 1st semester. Had to really push to go to University lest I waited a full year. Was neither popular nor unpopular in HS was very unpopular in Jr College. I was "troubled", so they coddled me. My younger brothers pretty much did what they wanted, drove and got laid at 16. They didn't even party that much in HS or in undergrad. They smoked  a good deal, though. I did too until met someone who was moderately attractive and  had an above average job who straightened me out. She even had work done for me but then she got depressed, gained a lot of weight, and threw me out when it looked like we would have to be open to relocate for me to find work. I've been only been a social drinker and strictly alcohol since  then.

Link to that study?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »

Link to that study?
http://opiniontoday.com/2016/12/13/teen-use-of-any-illicit-drug-other-than-marijuana-at-new-low-same-true-for-alcohol/

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies