Democrats and Left Leaning Posters: If National GOP was more like the Atlas GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:10:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Democrats and Left Leaning Posters: If National GOP was more like the Atlas GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you be more likely to vote for them
More Likely

Less Likely

No Difference

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Democrats and Left Leaning Posters: If National GOP was more like the Atlas GOP  (Read 1927 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 04, 2019, 01:52:54 PM »

95% of Atlas Rs can be put in one of three categories, all of which are terrible:

1. Trump wannabes
2. Religious fundamentalists
3. Robotic hacks

So no, I wouldn't be more likely to vote for them compared to Trump's GOP. Less likely even if they're like #2.
I don't think I fit any of those. Does that put me in the other 5%? Smiley
Yeah you're cool in my book. Then again I don't really know what your views are, I just know you like travelling a lot.

Thanks. You now know my view on universal health care, too. I spent 6 years as the cochair of the Green Caucus in IL. On voter access I was the architect of Automatic Voter Registration in IL. In 2011 I worked with both MALDEF and the Ohio Black Legislative Caucus on fair redistricting. Illiniwek can tell you about Dems supporting me despite my party.

As I previously stated Muon2 is an individual who if he were to run for elected office in whatever state I might be living, would well consider voting for because of principled policy positions, and an individual who carefully and thoughtfully examines the issues at hand, and although I might disagree with on some issues, can and will represent the interests of his constituents and generally in a Progressive direction.

When I was a child in Oregon we had a legendary Republican Senator Mark Hatfield:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hatfield

As a Man only a few Years Younger than my Maternal Grandfather, he fought against the Fascists in the Asian Theater, was one of the first Americans to witness the devastation caused by the American nuclear bomb dropped in Hiroshima.

He was an Evangelical Baptist and it influenced his views from the Death Penalty, to Abortion, to Unjust Foreign Wars, although he did not wear his faith on his sleeve for political opportunities....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/christian-faith-mark-hatfield_b_921230

In 1953 he introduced a bill in the Oregon State Legislature to ban discrimination based upon race in Public Accommodations, in a State with a deep racist history of "red-lining" (As was the case with many other Northern States).

Now although Mark Hatfield has his flaws, perhaps when it came to being too cozy with the Timber Industry at a time where 40% of Oregon's economy was directly tied to Timber related employment, he was a Progressive Republican.

We need more Republicans such as Mark Hatfield, but with a "Modern" perspective that carefully address the issues in our land, and unfortunately few current Atlas Republican posters can come close to meeting the call.....

Mark Hatfield was a truly great Senator.  The problem with Hatfield was that, in life, he was anti-abortion, so that would relegate him to Pond Scum status.

At my deepest core, I probably identify as a pro-life Democrat who became a moderate Republican.  Mark Hatfield, Jacob Javits, and Clifford Case were those kind of Republicans.  Unfortunately, they don't exist today.  Even a moderate Republican like George Voinovich would be persona non grata in today's GOP.

Today's parties reflect a statement that I believe it was from Clifford Case.  Case once said that moderate progressives would need to work together to find moderate progressive solutions to the problems that America faced.  Case also warned that if the solutions to America's problems were not solved by America's progressives, then the solutions would be provided by the extremes of the political spectrum, and that would not be a good thing. 

I don't think it's hard for people to see Case's prediction coming to pass.  What worries me is that too many people think that the extremes coming up with solutions is a good thing.  The desire for extreme solutions by today's partisans is one reason we have the extreme parties we now have. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies